Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Your Library] Increase maximum Songs allowed in Your Music

I feel like the maximum amount of songs allowed in one playlist, and subsequently in "Songs" playlist under the new "Collections" feature, should be more than 10,000.

Quite frankly it should be unlimited. 

We are paying for a service but limited on how many songs we are able to save? That is absurd to me.

I recently started saving all of my albums into "Collections" and got stuck at about 1/4 of the way through - 10,000 songs has been reached and I am no longer able to save any more albums.

PLEASE INCREASE MAX NUMBER OF SONGS IN COLLECTION FEATURE!!!

WHAT IS A COLLECTION IF YOU HAVE TO LIMIT YOUR TASTE???

Updated on 2020-05-26

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Idea Exchange.

We're excited to be marking this idea as implemented!
We've now removed the limit on saved items in Your Library, making it possible to save songs, and albums on Spotify to your heart's content.

As the app has changed quite a bit since this idea was submitted, please be aware that some functionality is now different. This change does not impact the limit on the number of songs in a playlist other than your Liked Songs.

For more info, check out this blog post.

Comments
Phonks

Ok, I've been using spotify for about 3 years. Today i just hit this ridiculous limit of yours. Like why would you put such a small limit?! It  feels like if someone uses your service for long enough obviously they are gonna hit this limit sooner or later right? And it's not like the world dosen't have a abundance of music right? And it's not as if music gets released every day either right? So excuses me if i'm rude but as a paying customer i feel i should be able to save your whole god darn library if darn well please but it would most definetly be great if you raised your limit. We might be the minority on this but please this ridiculous when other services have a higher cap than YOU the biggest music streamming service! Sorry for the rant but I'm leaving spotify after my sub ends (Not cause it matters at all too you but... yeah) My music need to be limitless and endless!   

Out!  

limonlason
I don't understand the 9,999 song limit imposed on my library (it is just an electronic tag), it feels like I'm not allowed to but any album at my local record store or online. I'm definitely keeping my local stored library up to date and will be looking at other streaming services.
rednblu

I was furious about this 9,999 track limitation too, @limonlason, @Phonks, . . . -- until my friends pointed out to me the following.

The start of my workhorse Spotify  rednblu  account takes about 7 minutes-- much longer than their accounts-- before I can search, discover, cut, paste, . . . .   My friends explained to me that the 7 to 15 minute start of my Spotify  rednblu  account derives from my having so many huge playlists and folders that have to be synchronized with "the cloud".

* My "programming fix" is to do NextTrack immediately on the Play Queue LeftOver from "last time" that comes up in about 15 seconds.  At least, for the next 7 minutes I usually get music.  If I don't get music, I kill all of the Spotify program segments in TaskManager and start again-- and be faster in doing NextTrack.  (I laugh.)  This works fine.

My friends explained to me that my alternative "free account" which has only a few small playlists comes up quickly-- even in the Web player-- maybe because there is practically nothing to synchronize with "the cloud".  It might seem to me that they are "just pointers"-- but those "just pointers" apparently make my workhorse Spotify  rednblu  account sluggish for some functions.  Maybe that is why-- Maybe not . . . .

I am not complaining in the least-- because I have "programming fixes" my friends gave me for everything that has bothered me so far.  The "programming fix" that disappears this 9,999 limit for me is to use "playlists and folders" instead of "My Music"--"MyMusic" is completely dysfunctional, I find, for any real music library-- as many have complained here.

rodolfo_rocha

Ridiculous this limitation!

Give me a good reason to this?

Please re-consider this.

shawnrudd

This seems like a limit that should be imposed on free users, not paying customers.  I'm nowhere near reaching this limit but I also don't want to invest a year or two building up my library just to hit the 10,000 brick wall.  Apple Music has a limit of 100,000 and Google Music has a limit of 50,000.  Come on Spotify!!!!  Please listen to your customers for a change. 

Anamon

@rednbluI have a few thousand playlists on my account (because I used to have the habit of saving every album I planned to listen to to a new playlist, and I haven't caught up much yet), and definitely noticed client sluggishness. Although I also have to say, this has improved a lot since the old "grey" client versions, and now I usually only notice that a few things load a bit more slowly shortly after start-up, but it doesn't impede any functionality of the client anymore on the more recent versions.

The web player is an entirely different story, sometimes most of my playlists still just show "Loading..." half an hour after opening it, and I get weird "desync" artifacts like duplicate playlists (with one of them sometimes being incomplete) or arbitrary playlists lengths and track counts. I decided to not care about it much because the web player is horrible and broken anyway (no playlist folders!), but whenever I do try to use it, it's horrible, and it does indeed seem to be related to the number of saved tracks and playlists.

I wouldn't accept this as an explanation for the 10k track limitation though. For one thing, it seems to be more related to the number of playlists than their length. As Your Music seems to be treated like a playlist internally, allowing it to store an unlimited number of tracks, rather than forcing users to come up with their own multi-playlist workarounds, would actually help make this less of an issue. And of course, I maintain my position that if performance concerns like these are actually a factor, then all it means is that the programming is shoddy. Saving 10k, 100k, or 30M tracks should simply not make a noticeable difference performance-wise, if the code is designed well.

I'm not sure if Spotify realizes (or cares) but there are actually people who are leaving Spotify because of the song limit issue. I know several people personally who have switched to Apple Music or Google Play because of this.. and I myself will also be forced to migrate to either of these services within the next couple months because of this. I've already hit the cap and it is near impossible to maintain an enjoyable music experience.

I can only imagine that increasing the song limit is hard for Spotify to implement because they are building on top of old code from when Spotify originally started (as opposed to Apple being able to start fresh). THAT being said.. increasing the limit to just 20000 songs would help tremendously.

To be clear (I'm hoping some Spotify staff will see this) I'd rather not leave Spotify. I'm generally happy with the sound quality and UI.. though I will be forced to look elsewhere as my growing collection will never to able to fit within Spotify's current 10000 song limit. I wish Spotify realized that premium subscriptions are often serious music fans. Many are bound to reach the 10000 song limit eventually and will, like mainy of us already, seriously consider looking elsewhere.

SimSima
I agree, i pay £10 a month and when i got capped at 10,000 i was mad, for free users it should be capped but paying customers should be unlimited, spotify please do this
saved

@SimSima Hi, and to everyone who believes that only paying users deserve a raised cap.

We agree that the 10,000 cap is bad, but please spare a thought for those who are unable to pay.

Perhaps you should have added that £9.99 here in the UK is equivalent (at today's exchange rates) to US $14.18. I sometimes wonder how all the people who shout "I pay $9.99 for this!" would feel if they had to pay $14 from now on.

Tax difference explanations don't make any difference to users. We just care about what it costs us and whether we can afford it.

"Free" users also pay in their own way by enduring very frequent, annoying and sometimes even offensive advertising. And everyone has to pay in one way or another for development of Facebook integration etc, whether we want it or not.

It's not always a choice not to pay. For some it's the ONLY choice, especially since all the pleading for Spotify Unlimited to continue fell on completely deaf, avaricious ears. We wanted to pay what we could, but Spotify themselves made it impossible for people on limited budgets to choose a fewer frills option.

Some of us will never forget that. Many others left.

Others services don't impose a 10,000 cap, so why should Spotify? For anyone?

robigouk

Hi everyone

just a refesh that I have an offer for friends (so you guys)  to have Deezer premium for 3 months for one payment of £9.99 (I get a free month for each one of you who take it). A couple of you on here have already taken the offer but just want to put it out there as some might not be aware!

Deezer's only limit is 1k songs per playlist.

No limit on how many you add to your library etc.  Lots of other nice features (if you upload mp3's you can sync/listen from the cloud), nicer android app (not used ios) etc.

If you're interested send me a private message on here (I just need your email address to send you an invite).

cheers

Rob