Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Android] Rearrange Tracks inside a Playlist

On my iPod I can manually move my songs around that are in my playlist, but I can't do the same on my phone which is what I mostly use. It would be easier to have that option on all devices.

Updated on 2018-07-11

Hey!

The Spotify Community team here.

We're pleased to confirm that this feature should now be available to all Android users.
We'd recommend double-checking that you're running the latest version of Spotify.

Once again, thanks for showing your support here in the Community.
/M
Comments
uberdoku

I don't want to sound rude but this is pretty pathetic. Spotify is one of the top music apps at this point, now competing with giants like Apple and Google in the music-streaming industry. I'm not sure how you plan on doing that when it takes over months to implement a simple feature like arranging a playlist.

That being said, I'd like to mention that this arrangement feature should not only be applied to playlists, but any list that currently has a sort function.

I've been very against Spotify since it got big in America and you finally added a lot of albums to the point where I think it's worth it. I'm trying Premium now and getting disappointed again. Please, help me like you!

alephnaut

I've been a subscriber for a while now and am begging the powers that be to please provide a way to move tracks around in a playlist on mobile (I'm on android).

99+% of my spotify usage is from an android smartphone. I love computers, am a programmer by trade and have been a hardware hobbyist for going on 30 years now. But there's no way I'm ever going back to listening to music on a PC.

• Listening to music is mainly a background activity. People listen mainly while commutting (in the car or on transit) while doing housework, etc... That means spotify will primarily be used while doing something else.
  • PCs are awful for background activities. Over the years I've become convinced that any mass market activity that gains traction on a PC will inevitably be migrated away from the PC as soon as doing so is convenient. Desktops are inconveniently located usually nowhere near speakers in the rest of the house. Laptops have terrible audio. Both of them suffer from the "general computing device" problem: nothing is more annoying than wanting to listen to music only to have to wait for java/acrobat/any-of-the-millions-of-programs-available to prompt for update, update, confirm the update, possibly reboot, etc...

Maybe the idea is: "Hey, there's all this wonderful music you can discover if you use the desktop client or web interface!". Honestly, so what? I love music, have played piano for decades and even have the copyright for a song. I'm in "music discovery mode" at most once a month; usually more like once a quarter.

I can't speak for other people but I switched from Pandora to Spotify for 2 reasons:

1. Spotify lets me listen to the song I want to listen to when I want to listen to it.
  2. Spotify automatically* shares the track I'm listening to on facebook. It's a passive way for anyone that might be interested in the same music to discover, listen and maybe share at some point in the future. The background nature of music listening is imho exactly why devices like Google's Nexus Q could never be a mass-market success: people don't consume music like that.

The logitech squeezebox also helped since it provides a quick way to listen to music without the hassles of using a computer.

Note that music discovery isn't in that list of 2 reasons. It's a nice feature, I value it, but I don't use it that often. Pandora's music genome project did a pretty good job of recommendations - I don't know if Spotify's is better but it doesn't really matter because Spotify Radio is good enough.

ChelseaG

I don't know why this feature was removed. Please bring  it back! 

jhhennes
I just added it to the comments in Google play store... This is ridiculous.
docagspell

i just quit my rhapsody subscription after 10 continuous years. main reason i did it was to join

the family plan offered by spotify. music selection, devices and availability were pretty much the same so non-issues

there. so now im giving this service 25 bones per month (per the long standing request of my kidos) but just realized this service SUCKS!!!!

i CANNOT BELIEVE you do not have the ability to rearrange playlist songs on the fly in the android

mobile app!!  i just stumbled on this thread after not being able to figure out how to do it on my phone. FOR CRYING OUT

LOUD THIS FUNCTION SHOULD BE STANDARD. heard nothing but how spotify is the holy grail for the past 3 years

and how it beats every other service. WELL PROVE IT!!!......i agree with above utterly ridiculous

Onib
Just noticed I need that feature... Little disappointed to find this thread and see the problem wasn't solved yet.
THUK

I must be losing it.  I thought we now had this feature on Android?  I was sure of it.  I've not been using Spotify for a little while on my phone and having just checked, the ability to edit the order of a playlist has gone, or it was never there?   Giving up.  If Spotify are unable to commit to adding basic functionality, perhaps we should re-think our commitments, the ones that take 9.99 per month from our accounts for example.

Can someone fill me in.

Mocq.

Spelunky

Please add this. The player should allow us to drag the songs wherever we like. Google Music has it. Too bad they dont have the songs that I want, which I am sure will improve in a few years. When that happens I am out of here. Spotify has the best collection of songs. But, unfortunately, it also has a really terribad player.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

2015-02-19

Thanks for this idea, we've given it the "Good idea" status. Keep leaving your comments and feedback here and we'll post here if we have news about rearranging tracks inside a playlist on Android.

Firedreamer
Unbelievable that this basic feature hasn't been implemented yet. I pay £120 per year for the premium app and as far as I'm concerned this is another reason for me to leave spotify.