Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Bring Back Sorting in Search Results

This is bad, guys!  

Once was the day (last week) you could sort all of your search results by artist, album, length OR popularity simply by clicking on the name of that column in the full search results view.  

It's even mentioned in a "Solution" from last week.

Now, the column headings are unresponsive and there is now way to group the results of your search, like when you want to see different versions of the same song by one artist:

New Search Results

There seems to be some problems w/ the search function in other aspects of the redesign so perhaps a fix is in the works?

Spotify's greatest strength is the diversity of music accessible but people enjoy it in different ways, not just by popularity.

Please bring back sorting in search results!  This is big hole!

2015-08-29

Hey folks, we're happy to announce this feature is rolling out to customers now. You will have sortable columns in search on Desktop coming your way. Thanks for your feedback everyone. 

Comments
cabal

The same disappointment, here. I don't see any reason for these changes, if not a questionable will to give less power to users in choosing what they want to hear. Just as if Spotify is taking the 1.0 road of controlling and driving people in their music experience. Bad. 

passingbat

I'm confused; how can the status of this be 'New Idea'? It was present in the previous version.

Maybe you should have a new category: Restore essential functionality that some idiot designer removed'.

Sorry about the use of the word 'idiot', but it really does beggar belief.

musicsearcher

Everything Spotify seems to be expressing to me is  "No need to search or discover on your own music anymore, and those social exchanges of music were not necessary...we know the music you want to hear. Our suggestions are all you need."  

They seem to now want to model it after a top 40 songs commercial radio station?

estelluxxx

YES! I came here to complain about this exact thing. 

davidtoc

WTH??  How crazy is it that I search for the name of a song I'm looking for and then can't even sort to put all the tracks with that name together???  Please bring this feature back.  I barely even think of it as a "feature."  It's just the way things are supposed to work.

I'm trying to imagine the user testing for this. Did you ask users, "hey, we'd like to remove this really useful feature," and they said, "yes, please! we hate useful stuff!"

As far as the way I tend to use Spotify (generally to find a bunch of different versions of a song performed by different artists so I can learn the song better) it makes it nearly unusable.

Sorry for the 'tude. Kind of pissed about this right now.

Skaarax

This is rapidly becoming a deal breaker for me. It's making it way harder to find exactly what I want. Especially if there is a song that has the same title as a band, E.G Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkle. Why would you possibly remove this feature. There is no advantage I can conceive of... Please just bring it back?

wallaceprime

I had exactly the same problem and was as frustrated as everyone else on this thread.

However, performing a clean install (uninstall then install) has rectified things (I don't know if my installation was corrupted or if a newer version of the software had corrected this bug).

If unsure on the procedure, for platform/OS specific instructions visit https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/faq/#!/article/reinstallation-of-spotify

Hope this works for the rest of you also - I'd be curious to know either way. All the best, Chris

(ps. I'd guess that Jesus didn't realise how lucky he was to be living in an age without computers to make life difficult) 

Dexmac

I did as you advised and it worked immediately after installation.  However, the problem recurred after closing and re-opening.

dfinney23
Ditto what everyone else says. I love listening to obscure cover versions of popular songs but they're now very difficult to find, as they're mixed in with tons of album and artist matches. Pretty darn basic functionality, being able to sort by clicking on the column headings, and I'm sure can't be a difficult fix. Get on it!
gaz8080

I can sort by column heading after a search, using version 0.9.8.296 on a Mac.