Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Equalizer for the Desktop Version

There should be an Equalizer for the Desktop version of Spotify.

EQ1.png

Since Spotify's mobile apps now have an EQ setting, this should be implemented on the desktop version, too!
The EQ should come with various presets but also the ability to save your own custom settings.

Updated on 2022-08-10

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that the Equalizer option is now available on desktop - and is gradually rolling out to all users over the next week. You will be able to play around and customize the sound of your music for a better listening experience by toggling your Equalizer on your computers.

Elena_1-1660143850905.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Rim4

https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/ is probably your best bet right now.
However it's not possible to limit to Spotify.

Xenia

Hey there folks,

Thanks for the feedback - we appreciate it!

We're often testing things by adding or removing features to make Spotify better overall. We’re sorry if this means you’re not able to use the app as you'd like.

We always aim to improve, so we’ll get this passed on to the right team.

If you have any questions we're always one reply away 🙂

Cheers!

snaapz

Spotify has become the leading platform for providing and steaming music to listeners.

They should take FULL pride in providing users with outstanding sound quality.

The fact is that low end and high end headphones are all built differently and require adjustments to get a perfect EQ balance.

By default the sound is flat, terrible terrible flat.

If I need to explain the difference between flat EQ and V EQ then Spotify is in the wrong business.

I just received a $100 pair of headphones, the sound quality is ok but when I used my mobile device to set the EQ the sound was several times better, clear, crisp, and full bass.

The Desktop app NEEDS an EQ. Winamp had it, VLC has it, Windows Media Player has it, etc.... whats the big deal. Please enable me.

Alex

Hey there folks,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

As music lovers we understand how important the equalizer is, especially if you're equipped with some powerful headphones or speakers. However, this issue has been discussed in this Idea thread already and it looks like it won't be implemented any time soon. You can have a look at the official statement in the post.

Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions in the future.

thetortfeasor

Spotify: "Hey there folks. Yeah, we have, like, TOTALLY discussed how this is a music app and it clearly needs an equalizer elsewhere. You would think that would be the first thing we put in the app before anything else!

"But since our developers are so awful and can't actually implement it (**bleep** NO WAY THIS WAS done for FREE IN WINAMP 20 years ago you guys! (*Editor's note: that's TWO DECADES for the spotify developers, who if they can't implement an equalizer probably can't count to 20) unprofessional developers in their spare time, we want you to know, that we HEAR YOU and instead of hiring a professional developer to implement this, in say, the 20 odd hours, we WILL NOT be doing that.

"Instead, enjoy this moderator's comment linking to, like, a thread or something where we all scratched our heads and thought, how could an equalizer  have been implemented in Windows 98 before stack exchange was even a thing? Like, how could people even read, like, code and stuff. What is code, anyway? What is computers?

"LOL you guys. Like, maybe if our userbase could help us spell equalizer then, maybe, like, 20 years later or something from now, we could totally enter that into a search engine and copy paste the code. But like, how could we even begin to know how to do that?"

S\

8ryo

[Desktop] Equalizer for the Desktop Version - The Spotify Community

I think this is important, IOS has it so why not desktop?

eglinski
This is a huge pain point for me, as equaliser apps run buggy on macOS and I have been struggling to find a solution to the punchiness of my speakers. The post requesting an equaliser for desktop has over 5,700 likes while the one for mobile is 5,100 so you would think this is at least equally or more requested. PLEASE ADD THE EQUALISER TO DESKTOP
old_deluder
This statement is such BS and in no way addresses the issue. Regardless of how small a userbase the desktop users are, it is such a bare minimum feature to implement and would take very little time and money.
Twed

I'm aware this is a duplicate of a 2015 issue that is marked closed, but in that issue it is marked that it might be revisited in the future, it's been 6 years, so let me at least provide a use case example of why the feature is useful and not something that is solved by a system's audio drivers / operating system.

My songs sound better coming out of YouTube on my browser than they do through Spotify. I could fix this with an in app equalizer if one existed easily. 

As a desktop user I have multiple feeds of audio, sometimes multiple at once. For example, I'm playing League of Legends with some friends communicating over discord and I want to have Spotify streaming as well. If I want to boost the bass of my music I could use my headset's equalizer or my OS's equalizer, but both would boost all my audio inputs, and I don't want a friend's laugh bass boosted.

Make it a premium only version or something, would definitely keep me subscribed.

To the QA/Community manager that sees this, here is the original issue you want to mark this a duplicate of, to save you some time: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Equalizer-for-the-Desktop-Version/idi-p/120720...

Thank you for your time.

ggrichards

You point to a post made 6 years ago whenever this comes up. It's been 6 years. You have equalizers on all other platforms. What's stopping you from adding one to the desktop?