Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Playlists] Paste Songs in Playlist at Specific Point

With the new UI update the ability to paste songs at a certain point in a playlist seems to be missing.

I have some pretty long playlists that I use custom ordering with. Having the ability to paste songs I recently added to it at a certain point was really helpful. This allowed me to highlight a song near where I wanted the new songs to go and when  I pasted the cut songs would be pasted right below it. This saved a lot of time because I didn't need to drag songs from the bottom of the playlist after they were added through the playlist for minutes at a time.

This was a great feature and I hope something to replace it or the feature is reinstated. It appears that right now when I try to do this the songs are pasted at the end of the playlist. I have not found a new feature or workaround to this at the moment.

This idea implies the existence of the ability to cut rather than just copy songs in a playlist as well so I didn't feel the need to create a separate idea post for that feature. This also doesn't have to be exactly as I described it. A way to move songs to a certain point in a playlist in any way is just what I am looking for.

I know the UI is brand new so these are probably just the growing pains but I'd love to see this feature added at some point.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-01-13

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're super happy to announce that this is now possible on the desktop app! You can cut/copy songs with Ctrl+X/Ctrl+C (on Windows; Cmd+X/Cmd+C on Mac) and paste them in the desired location in your playlists with Ctrl+V (on Windows; Cmd+V on Mac)!

For more info on all other keyboard shortcuts check out this article.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Stay awesome!

Comments
bbozguner

Yes, please put the feature back so that the newly added song will be at the top of the playlist!!

BearsForPres

I used to be able to do Ctrl+X to cut songs out in a playlist, scroll to wherever I wanted, selected a track, and then do Ctrl+V to paste my cut songs in the position I had selected. This is crucial for organizing massive playlists.

However, in the new update, Ctrl+X is gone (which isn't that bad, I can still do Ctrl+C and then delete), and I can't paste my songs wherever I want anymore. When I do Ctrl+V, my copied songs end up at the very bottom of the playlist no matter what.

Please fix this.

Opportunist

This is usefull not just when you want to add a track in a particular place in a playlist.
But also for housekeeping.

Sometimes a particular version of a track will get removed from spotify [or the link will break] and that track will no longer be available in you playlist but will still be available on the platform.
Being able to drop the replacement track into the same point in the playlist is extreemly helpfull.
Particularly in multithousand track playlists.

meadowcroftt

The inability to paste into the middle of a playlist is not "a new idea"; it's a bug.  Please don't wait for enough users to up vote this before taking action.  I'm dead in the water and making no new changes to my playlists until you fix this.

HuskerDoggo

luckily I dont have the new ui yet but I need this. having my 1000+ songs playlist customly ordered and dragging a song from the bottom to near the top is a pain in the ass

Brian

Copy/paste into a specific spot in a playlist now works. But the equally crucial cut/paste still doesn't work (at all). Maybe the idea can be updated to include the cut issue? Or we'll have to start a new "idea".

I have to find a way to roll back to a previous version until this is (hopefully) fixed.

Powha

How can you tag something that is clearly regression as "a new idea" 🤦‍

The cut/copy/paste is needed to mend the none existing play queue functionality.

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 50 votes in 3 months! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

Brian

Removing cut and paste from a desktop app is not an idea, not a feature, it's a bug, a mistake… Please fix this.

JTannerHarrison

Here's an "idea": maybe come up with a better system for reporting bugs as opposed to "suggesting ideas". You can sugar coat it all you want Spotify, but your users are not clueless. A bug is a bug. Removing a feature with no replacement is a bug. Reporting a bug on a board intended for ideas about improvements almost sounds like a bug in the framework of your business model. Maybe just ensure the basic features we've appreciated for so long continue to function and your users will stop "bugging" out over little nuisances like this.