Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Podcasts] Disable podcast videos

When you try to play a podcast that also has video on desktop, there is no option to disable it and only play audio.  This is unnecessary for me, because I do other things while listening to podcasts.  It also introduces unnecessary strain on my internet connection to stream video that I won't watch, as well as strain on my hardware trying to decode the video.  Much like the "disable canvas" option on mobile, I feel like it would be beneficial to have a "disable videos" on desktop.

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that the feature to disable a podcast video is now available on Desktop. You can either click the X in the video itself or the Show/Hide video button in the lower left corner of the app, next to the title of the currently playing episode.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Therace_chase

Hey team,

Signed in and verified just to upvote and write this.

This is a seriously adverse side affect to podcasts with forced video. Internet bandwidth doesn't work well with forced 1080p video when trying to multitask, and eats up data for phones.

Please fix this feature to allow audio only, OR the ability to adjust the video streaming quality. 

It only makes sense. Especially for all your new subscribers just for podcasts like JRE. Thank you

abarreraaponte

Don't mean to be rude but how on earth is this still being ignored? The streaming quality with video degrades a lot, and you are like, "Cool I can resolve it by disabling the video" except that there's no option to disable the video.

It's rather frustrating.

o11o

Any updates on this @Spotify ? On Desktop it is very unpleasant having to go into a small scroll menu to select another episode of the podcast. 

lumb3rzack

We are having to ban spotify in my office due to the sheer number of video streams from podcasts eating a significant amt of bandwidth..  PLEASE fix this ASAP or all of my employees will be switching services.

1413rff11

You guys realize not fixing or even adressing this is hurting your brand right?

AudunLund

Would be nice to be able to change the resolution also

shotaro

The fact that this hasn't been implemented yet is a disgrace. Probably takes a programmer 3 minutes to add a audio only feature, I pay money monthly for the service, and this is clearly an issue many users are having on PC

brandondrury
I noticed my wife's Spotify on Android has a bunch of boxes moved and
icons changed.  I guess they are busy fiddling with the layout (which
was good enough before).  This explains why there is no time to solve
problems that are ruining the service.  Fortunately, for them, they
essentially have a monopoly.  I'm definitely considering cancelling
entirely due to ineptitude in their software department.
shotaro

Agreed, they dont have their priorities right, and clearly this issue isnt being looked at. As a solution shouldnt be taking this long. The only reason I got spotify and premium was to listen to the JRE. Now I wish I hadn't gotten a subscription as I cant listen to the JRE at work

brandondrury
One tip that may help is to download the podcast episode at home on
wi-fi.  When the download is complete go to Settings > Offline Mode. 
Turn it on.   This seems to disable the video part for me.

The downside is it takes away any and all wi-fi benefits for the Spotify
app and is a pain.