Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Restore Cache Location Specification

I run on a machine with a small SSD for my OS and critical applications.

In previous versions of Spotify I have set my cache to my larger hard drive. Now this is no longer possible.

Now I am constantly having to manually clear my cache and am unable to specify where I want the files to be kept.

This needs to be restored.

Updated: 2015-07-08

Hey everyone, this feature is returning in the 1.0.9 Desktop update. That update is currently rolling out and should reach everyone quite soon.

Comments
xiaomao87

I agree - I also use an SSD, which is not large compared to my other storage devices, and I don't want to hold ANY cache data from Spotify on it. Ever. Not only can we no longer specify the location, but we can't change the maximum cache size. Wake up Spotify, your customers are not happy with this latest software "upgrade". 

chrb_

Yes, I have the same problem. I really need to be able to limit the cache size.

jpb4

Surface Pro 3 - SSD - same problem! Bang head here!

Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes

howellq

I am amazed how a company makes their software less customizable thinking people would like it. First you make something good, people like it then you take it away... That's one good way to lose customers over time. I work in customer service, and the company (or rather its management?) I work at makes the same mistakes, and we get the same reactions from customers, some really well paying customers even leave us and go to rivals.

borysh

I agree, at this rate of distroying a service I once admired I'll probably move somewhere else where they don't just take away usfull features.

Jarg

I've just spent an hour trying to figure out what happened to my good old spotify, reinstalling several time, looking through all the menus to finally figure out that it wasn't my installation, it's actually Spotify that has changed a key functionnality. I've read many complaints about many options/functionnalities I wasn't even aware of that have been deleted/changed, which is already quite bad. But not being able to tell Spotify where to store the music in our era of many drives (small very fast SSD for running app, slower but huge data HD for storing data) is just something that I can't understand. Please fix that ASAP or I'll go somewhere else, the choice is now much larger than when I started using your once wonderful soft, and actually decided to PAY for it...

chrb_

I'm leaving for Google Music, at least until these problems are resolved, if they even are. I wasn't using it before because I had other problems with it, but now Spotify's problems are even worse. Plus I get a free month, so... later Spotify.

Lord_Dragonus

Hey! There is a small workaround: If you are using NTFS as filesystem you can just create a junction point to the folder of a different drive. So Spotify will use the space on the target drive.

Opportunist

This is an Absolute must. We need to have controll over where large amounts of data is stored on our systems.