Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Displaying album credits

I understand that including all album artwork is considered a premium feature, but at the same time, all people who participated in the making of an album should be credited for their work. Musicians, composers, producers, engineers and everybody involved - plus all the "special thanks" - people, deserve to be credited.

This could be implemented by simply displaying the album credits in text form, along with the original front album cover and tracklist. No lyrics, pictures or bonus features, just the credits. Not linking, but displaying the credits along with the album front cover + tracklist by default, in all versions of Spotify. The complete album artwork could still be a Spotify Premium-feature, with this approach.

This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important - their (ok, our) careers depend on these little things. Being associated with the music you've recorded (or written, engineered for et c) is still a very important part of building a career in this business.

Updated on 2018-02-05

Hey folks! We’re very excited to announce the launch of the first iteration of Spotify’s new songwriter credits feature.

Spotify users around the world can now view songwriter and producer credits for tracks on the desktop platform and on iOS. 

On desktop, simply right-click on a track and select “Show Credits” from the menu of options to view information on performers, songwriters and producers.

To read more about the information we're sharing please click here.

song writer credits.jpg

Comments
BassMasterK

This is a great improvement.  Like others I agree it would be nice if there were a way to search for additional music associated with the people that are listed in the data fields.  What would really be nice is if there was access to the complete artwork from an album which gives much more detail than what is provided here.  From what I have seen clicking around, the additional info provided (while nice) is pretty sparse.  I like to see who the recording engineer is, where it was recorded, guest musicians, producers, etc.  None of that info appears to be provided by any of the folks responsible for providing the info.

jescomph
Can't seem to find the credits. Can you let me know who i can reach out to on Spotify. Thank you. 
Byzze
You’ll only find it the application for PC or Mac.
Skonrokk

This is nice.

Now do it properly and credit all musicians and engineers involved! 🙂

w_hzz0fy-as2

Agreed.  Musicians should definitely be credited.  I always check to see who is playing on an album and finding that information now requires unnecessary work searching online. 

BenjThompson

Show Credits isn't coming up for me when I right-click on a track; what am I doing wrong?

And (assuming it can be made to work), how does one achieve this on a phone?

fishko17

Oh yes please.

Will I get a link to the artist on the credit page too?

AkaraEtteh

When is this coming to mobile? Surely it's not that hard to implement?

pk88

For jazz albums this is a *very* important feature ... I often have to do a parallell search for the album personnell info while listening. 

Freetrademan

I have to disagree with the Original Post on one point.  He wrote "This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important"  As a serious listener, I absolutely do want to know the names of the musicians behind the music! Yes, even the bass player on track five! Without that kind of information to explore through record and cd liner notes, I never would have explored - and fallen so deeply in love with - music over the past few decades. 

Credits are the one big missing piece in streaming music. I applaud Spotify for including a little. But producer and songwriter isn't enough. We deserve the FULL credits, track by track, just as CDs had.