Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Displaying album credits

I understand that including all album artwork is considered a premium feature, but at the same time, all people who participated in the making of an album should be credited for their work. Musicians, composers, producers, engineers and everybody involved - plus all the "special thanks" - people, deserve to be credited.

This could be implemented by simply displaying the album credits in text form, along with the original front album cover and tracklist. No lyrics, pictures or bonus features, just the credits. Not linking, but displaying the credits along with the album front cover + tracklist by default, in all versions of Spotify. The complete album artwork could still be a Spotify Premium-feature, with this approach.

This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important - their (ok, our) careers depend on these little things. Being associated with the music you've recorded (or written, engineered for et c) is still a very important part of building a career in this business.

Updated on 2018-02-05

Hey folks! We’re very excited to announce the launch of the first iteration of Spotify’s new songwriter credits feature.

Spotify users around the world can now view songwriter and producer credits for tracks on the desktop platform and on iOS. 

On desktop, simply right-click on a track and select “Show Credits” from the menu of options to view information on performers, songwriters and producers.

To read more about the information we're sharing please click here.

song writer credits.jpg

Comments
keving2367
Just expressing my opinion. I’m sure all this info is available in a digital form easily transferred to the platform. Your right another commercial enterprise interested in profits over artists.
AMusicFan15

Spotify:  Not even CLOSE to good enough. Listing the artist and songwriter, and calling that 'credits'? Naw, dawg. Claiming the artist didn't volunteer information like band personnel and other workers on the work? All of that stuff was easy to find, right from the horse's mouth, all through the 20th century. Are you this bad at your job, really?  Charge me more money if it's a pain in **bleep** to collect lyrics and credits from your artists. Third party "guesses" are worthless. Get it right.

keving2367
Agreed, This is long over due . Data is king. We have to know everything about the albums .
Freetrademan

I disagree, Peppe. Full credits ARE important to a lot of listeners. Not just musicians looking for resume-building. I'm someone who has always paid attention to "who plays bass on track five of this album" and who played drums and who produced and who did that harmonica solo and everything else. And several of my music-loving friends were the same. 

It's one of the reasons I still buy CDs, even though I have Spotify.

keving2367
Absolutely. It’s not only fair to the musicians, writers and producers it enhances the experience. I want to know this info. Spotify makes the bulk of the money off this service, throw the artist a bone. Give them credit.
AkaraEtteh

Opinions are great; but where are your facts?

• spotify only implement suggestions that have traction, so STOP COMMENTING HERE AND START A NEW SUGGESTION TOPIC. Once your NEW REQUEST HAS ENOUGH TRACTION Spotify WILL implement it. They’re not looking through comments on an SUGGESTION ALREADY MARKED AS IMPLEMENTED. Try and understand how this COMMERCIAL ENTERPRISE WORKS and how they utilise feedback from the community BY FOLLOWING THE SYSTEM/PROCEDURE THEY’VE PUT IN PLACE TO IMPLEMENT SUGGESTIONS LIKE THE ONE YOU’RE MAKING
  • Spotify only display information from labels and distributors for various reasons eg if the credits on All Music are different from those on the CD, who should be believed? So they ask the label/distributor for info and if this is wrong, the artist can correct it with the label/distributor to pass to Spotify. Seriously have you ever created or released music? If not how the heck can you claim you know the system better than I do?!
HaydnK
what a load of rubbish. Capital letters do not enhance you argument. Spotify can do this easily. What they have done is not implementation.
keving2367
How old are you? Capital letters? Your attitude just underscores what’s wrong with Spotify . So if you can’t make money and not enough people express interest in a feature or musical genre you’ll just ignore it?
HaydnK
well said
Claremo

Album credits are great. Can you make the credits “clickable” so you can search/ view all the music associated with all selected supporting team member like songwriters.