Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Enable email registration to Spotify

It would be nice to be able to open up the registration system to more people not just Facebook. This idea will never disappear. I figued I'd post it here in this lovely new community of Spotify.

We’re delighted to offer our users yet another way to sign up to Spotify. New users can now get instant access to millions of songs simply by visiting www.spotify.com and providing an email address and username. People can also continue to sign up and log into Spotify with Facebook across iOS, Android and web for easy access to the ultimate social music experience.

Comments
BuddyZ
There IS a way to make a Spotify account without Facebook, and I just did it... see here: http://workaroundsbydan.tumblr.com/post/25881165906/spotifywithoutfacebook Basically you are faking that you are signing up in Germany, where Spotify lets users sign up without Facebook. Then you switch you country back to USA and you're done!
Antowns

I don't believe you should force people to register for Facebook as many people don't want to be using the service, mostly people who are concerned for privacy. I'm lucky enough to have registered before the Facebook requirement and should I be required to link my Facebook account I'll be cancelling my subscription too.

Maetco

"At the moment it's a bit weird. How it currently works:

When you visit the Spotify website, you are assigned a random ID, which is given to you as a cookie. Then, the website randomly decides whether you are allowed to sign up without Facebook or not. It seems to be entirely random, some people do not see the "sign up using email address" option until they clear their cookies and try again."

Can someone confirm this? Not so long ago (about 2 months) there was no FB requirement for anyone (at least in Finland) has this once again been changed?

Stupify

No, it was always like that, in Finland as well. If you see the email signup option, you got lucky and you weren't randomly chosen to be Facebook-forced.

Maetco

**bleep**! I guess I was really lucky (or only a small percentage of people get to be bullied) because I actually tested it 3 times (where the last time was about 1 week after the first) before I believed that it wasn't just a bug. After this my mother and a friend created accounts for themselves (I've had my account for years I just refused to pay Spotify until they removed the FB requirement from new users) so 5/5 no problems. This is starting to feel like some weird social experiment.

To Spotify: You don't have a monopoly anymore so stop **bleep**ing with your customers or we will leave!

Completely ridiculous.  I've blocked Spotify app on the Facebook site so it doesn't keep posting crap to my wall.

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented

We’re delighted to offer our users yet another way to sign up to Spotify. New users can now get instant access to millions of songs simply by visiting www.spotify.com and providing an email address and username. People can also continue to sign up and log into Spotify with Facebook across iOS, Android and web for easy access to the ultimate social music experience.

Zak

I'm so glad they changed this, in my opinion it was a very bad decision and for me appears to have no logic apart from some cash obviously from facebook. After all it inflates facebooks "users" and makes advertisers moist at the thought. I signed up in UK before being forced onto facebook.

Anyway, great timing. I was going to buy my parents a spotify sub for christmas, who also don't "do" facebook. I posted on the @spotifycares the other day and said it was a dumb idea and was genuinely surprised to get a reply saying you could (again) sign up without facebook. I don't like, need, want or trust facebook and I'll never have an account. If you like it, I'm happy for you I'm not trying to open a discussion on the facebook ideaology!

Kill the FB-integration - will you ?! Signing off my premuim ATM due to that. I don't want FB and this is the only way to use your wonderful service - too bad that everyone is on the FB-era...

Peter__

You no longer are required to use Facebook, you can create a new non-Facebook account from the registration page.

Peter