Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Integrate HTML5 with play.spotify.com

With the new Xbox one coming out and it not supporting flash, I believe Spotify needs to revamp their play.spotify.com site to support HTML5 also, flash is a bit old, isn't it? I think this will greatly improve the experience on the site as well. <br><br>Thank you.

Updated on 2017-11-10

Hey everyone! We can confirm this very popular idea is now fully implemented.  The new Web Player uses HTML5 technologies solely. Thanks for your continued feedback in the Idea Exchange!

Comments
g0tmilk

As a Linux user, I am glad to have a way to natively run Spotify Client.

Despite that there wasn't a new version of the client for ages, and I would be very happy to use the web player (as an google-chrome "app"), as I do for many other websites (Netflix), but flash is too restrictive and inefficient.

This idea is *very* important to me !

marcomu

Spotify should follow Netflix's lead! With their Premium Video Extensions Spotify would be able to ship a flash-free experience on play.spotify which should be totally fine for content providers. It works with Safari, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and soon Mozilla Firefox. What are you waiting for?

davidsanan

I agree and support the idea of webplayer using html5 instead of flash. Flash just...

TheDawnofGlory

Spotify is the big record labels ***** (female dog reference)

Ehem... So, in the meantime, I'm sticking with DEEZER (html5 friendly).

africanm
From happycatt99@gmail.com,I FEEL A PERSON SHOULD BE ABLE TO LISTEN,OF ALWAYS DOWN LOADING EVERY THING, AFTER ALL YOU ARE PAYING FOR IT. THURSDAY AFN. 02-19-2015 TIME 3:10 PM.
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

2015-03-03

Hey everyone! We're marking this as a 'good idea' today, please keep leaving your comments and kudos so we can see how much support there is around this. Thanks!

giantslor

Can Flash just die already? It's horrible. HTML5 FTW!

etandel

Adobe dropped support for Flash on Linux, which makes spotify's dependency on this "technology" more than annoying: it is *insecure*. Flash has a long history of vulnerabilities on other systems as well, even with full support from Adobe. Deezer, rdio, netflix and other streaming services are using HTML5, why can't spotify do it?

As a developer, I find difficult to take this company seriously when such an important issue is taking more then 1 year to even be considered.

Dolorian

Maybe a good option is to include a preference to use one or ther other (it can come with Flash as the default, for example) so that people who don't want to install Flash in say...Safari, can use the HTML5 player instead. Flash is a huge resource hog and battery drain in laptops.

yach

Hi !

I really love spotify and its discovering feature. As a premium user, I use 1/3 of the time the Android app  with offline synchronisation - but the other 2/3 of the time, I use the website. Being on Linux at home and Windows (without administration rights) at work, using flash is the worst option : it is insecure, it is slow, it is past and it's slowly dying !

Please add HTML5 support ! This is a necessity for more and more users, and Spotify gets behind its competitors when appreciated on this matter !