Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Make a gender neutral option for profile sign up

Instead of choosing from Male/Female I'd like to be able to choose Other in the profile options for gender.

I understand this is used for marketing purposes in the grand scheme of things, but many people don't fit

into the two categories offered.

Thanks.

Updated: 2016-09-16

We’re thrilled to announce the availability of a non-binary sign up option to Spotify. Starting this week, we’ve enabled non-binary sign up to Spotify on Android in the U.S., U.K., Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. The option will follow in more markets and iOS soon. Enjoy!

Comments
nerelee

As a nonbinary person this would be really helpful. Where it is marked gender, it should have an "other" category or a open form where you can write your own gender. I am neither male or female and it makes me very uncomfortable to have to label myself as either.

eviansflame

It has been over 3 years and nothing has been done. What else can we do to call attention to this?

towai

i'm in the same boat as wolflambert - i've seen a post by someone whose gender in spotify is apparently blank (!) because they had theirs as blank or something other than m/f on their facebook profile when they signed up for spotify.

i'd really love to just delete my spotify profile and sign up with facebook again now that it has my gender marked correctly since it's obviously impossible at this point to sign up without facebook without marking a gender (which would be by far ideal) but i'm wary that i won't ever be able to sign up again using my facebook after i've been through the deletion process (seeing as how they emphasize it's permanent)

brirus

I'm kind of offended that you have to select a binary gender.

Ungendered people have money, and they represent a growing demographic.

Rorey
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated: 2016-09-16

We’re thrilled to announce the availability of a non-binary sign up option to Spotify. Starting this week, we’ve enabled non-binary sign up to Spotify on Android in the U.S., U.K., Sweden, Australia and New Zealand. The option will follow in more markets and iOS soon. Enjoy!

everyothercharl

It's not cool to change this to "implemented" when it hasn't been universally - as a Canadian I am still forced to conform to your opressive binary and it's not okay. Does it really take 4 months to change some codes to complete the implementation, or are your trans, non binary, and gender non conforming paying users just not that valuable to you? Be an ally, Spotify.

I *just* created an account and it forced me to choose between male or female. It also wouldn't let me refuse to answer, which is irksome. This solution obviously isn't fully implemented and I hope Spotify gets with the times quickly and either not require uses to share their gender, or if it is required to give them options that better represent the population.

Thanks for being open to this, looking forward to seeing it fully implemented!

(If it's helpful I was required to choose a gender while creating an account on a Chromebook using a Google Chrome Browser)

SimoneTrancé

Attempting to sign-up on windows/firefox and it still only offers the traditional two options

Sascha_Barents

Great that there is a nonbinary option when you are new on Spotify. But I already have an account. How can I change my gender on Spotify?

idontcare12

Having to choose anything at all put me off signing up in the first place. There's no for a music app to care about its users' gender. You might as well ask for my hat size.