Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile][Podcasts] Toggle Video for podcasts on mobile

Listening to JRE Joe Rogan Experience on Spotify using my phone. The app uses too much data as it streams video. I would love the option to turn off video feed to save on data, otherwise I cant freely listen to JRE wherever I am.

I do love the video feed, much better functionality than Apple podcasts, so I do love having this available, but I want to be able to switch it off especially when not on wifi.

Another feature could be the option to download Audio and / or video in advance (so we can choose if want to download audio only or video as well). That would solve a lot of my data problems. 

Updated on 2021-10-19

Hey folks,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions on this one!

You'll be happy to know that it's now possible to toggle off video for podcasts when you're not on WiFi.

image.png

Happy listening🎙

Comments
CaptainBoltagon

Yup, this should have been a basic feature. Probably just going to go back to Apple Podcasts if Spotify doesn’t fix this soon. 

31ls6yvj2o57fin

Come on, Spotify! This should be a basic function... At the very least, if you insist on linking the video and audio let us download both over wifi so we can listen without draining our data with constant video streaming. There is no way I will be signing up to premium until this is fixed.  

choleric

If you have Spotify Premium one work around is to download the podcast over Wi-Fi then switch to offline mode when out to stop the video from steaming; only the audio is downloaded to your phone. This is why if you have a poor signal and can't stream the video the audio won't play even when downloaded, offline mode circumvents this issue. 

Shameful that you have to find a work around and can't spontaneously listen to JRE on the go. The paranoid in me suspects this is a ploy to try to force people to pay for premium in order to do this.

allendick

This is very important for me, too.   Video eats data and is not useful when driving or working,

adina-listener

I see you already implemented for Desktop, why does mobile app still force the video? This makes totally NO SENSE. Do you really want to make it big in podcasts? BRING BACK THE AUDIO ONLY! This SUCKS terribly and it is beyond me how the MAIN FEATURE and CORE of podcasts is not supported?! Free apps like apple‘s support it but paid service doesn‘t? I‘m currently very mad. I‘m missing my favorite JRE podcast and it‘s all because of what seems like absolutely no care about what user wants, only what Spotify wants. Your UX team or whomever overruled them should be ashamed.

Fadedsun

I registered for this just to throw in my two cents. Make the video an option! I'm trying to listen here at work, and it keeps pausing at random spots to buffer the video. It's annoying. Last comment was two weeks ago. This should already be an option. What are you doing, Spotify? Chop, chop. Get stuff done. Until you fix this, I'll just listen on the Podcasts app instead. 

MartinaZvolensk

Vote up!

ratton9112

Totally agree. I have limited data, and no wifi in my home. 

I prefer to listen to audio, and do not care much for video. Would be great if the video could be disabled by default. Podcasts are not youtube.... 

fifthandgoal

I agree this needs to be fixed.  I too have found the workaround but if the workaround of going "offline" while listening to JRE is the solution, then there should be  toggle placed on the screen so you don't have to go "home", then "settings", then toggle.  It is far to complicated to listen to JRE on the go!

Honza_Koubek

I plugged in my phone to apple carplay and listened to 3+ hour long episode of JRE on my way home. Video apparently still played on the phone and I wasted the rest of my data plan. Untill Spotify implement "no video" option/switch, I can not listen to JRE show anymore.