Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
lovechicph
Hi guys. I asked a Spotify exec via an online forum, and the answer was
something like, "This isn't in the works, because it would affect user
navigation. We will have to give the option of undoing an artist or song
block. But we are developing other exciting things."

So looks like none of our clamor is working.

smyta
So, If Apple music offer me the blocklist, i'll cancel spotify and go there, for sure.

EdwardKenwayAC

Cancelled. 

I support this idea! This would be epic! 

linkpedro
Why is this still pending is what bothers me. Why make a community forum if
you dont listen to your community?

Well, creating a community forum also helps keeping negative comments seeping out on the web. Apparantly this needs twitter or a facebook campain for spotify to listen. 

For them to be hiding behind 'it would be hard to undo'  is just silly. If I block justin bieber I could still search for him and unblock him. For all I care they create list at the bottom of my playlists called ' banned'  and allow me to unblock song or artists from there.

I think they simply want to promote artists (which isn't a bad thing) and for which they may be compensated in some way (which might be a bad thing if it is hurting us). So for being plugged in a playlist artists increase their exposure, but only if we can't block them and that's perhaps why.

The 'skip' idea mentioned above would be very easy, songs are still shown in playlist, just not played. So it's either laziness, or financial reasons, but it's definitely not 'difficult'. 

stubs

Let me reiterate ...

The should be a block artist/album/track option. In particular artist.

Why should I have to see tracks of artists I don't want to hear? Or worse still, get recommended artists I don't want to see?

How complicated can it be?

Please add. Or don't recommend crap to me if you're not interested in my opinion.

MeetTheFokker

This suggestion is sitting in "not right now" for three years now. It's on a first page of "Top Cudoed" live ideas. It's easy to implement.

Looks like Spotify is afraid to jeopardize their relations with some producers, who will not enjoy seeing huge percentage of userbase adding specific "performers" to their blaclists, therefore reducing "daily plays" rates of said "performers". Now I have to switch to Spotify and manually skip specific songs when listening to "Global Top 50" chart, and I guess that song is still getting my "daily play" number even if skipped after it started playing, therefore inflating it's raing against the choice of audience.

paulhobie

Spotify really needs to add the ability to blacklist an artist or song. A specific example would be the chill.out.brain playlist. This is one of my favorites. However, I strongly dislike deadmau5. I would really enjoy a way of ensuring I don't have to interrupt the flow of my music to skip a deadmau5 song. Please listen to the community and develop this feature.

kilinkis

please!