Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
cmilne9

absolutly a must, and just sad that this was not implemented on the paid version (which i have) immedeatly after seeing this thred and how many people are demanding this. There is no question if they want to stay inovative or simply keep theyre substcriptons this must happen yesterday. The Only reason i am still with them right now is my ps4 supports it. as soon as sony lets amazon prime music or the thousand others access, spotify is in big trouble if they dont start listening to theyre customers.

cmilne9

look at Spotify's comment to all of us...and you thought your paying opion matters lol welcome to reality

flagrantlynerdy
All I want is to ensure that a song by Justin Bieber or his ilk will never cross my ears, not even by accident. I'm not asking for Spotify to completely remove him from the database--although if you want to do that, it's fine by me. I don't need to dictate what others listen to. But I would like to be able to have control over who I want to ignore. Please, please, PLEASE implement the twit-block feature for premium users. It really would maximize the value of my Spotify membership.
qaisjp

This idea is good, but it would also be ideal to have a per-playlist implementation. For me, I listen to different songs depending on my mood, and I might like one song in one playlist but not in another. An anti-"star" (we don't have stars anymore) may be a great catch-all implementation, but it might be necessary to also have also have a "Skip in this playlist" context menu option.

Naturally, that option could also be "stop skipping in this playlist" when the song is currently being skipped. There should also be a way to see if a song is currently being "playlist-skipped" at a glance.

strangemoss

Definately love the selection on Spotify but would really like to play a Pearl Jam radio song without Nickelback showing up in the que. PRETTY PLEASE!

cmilne9
I did not think of this, you are right on, this option should absolutely be Playlist based and you should be able to view and edit the blocked list. Thanks for your input
erkia-ee

+1

Just heard a song I never want to hear again.

tvbusy

While waiting for this feature to be added by the developers, I'm using AutoHotKey to automatically skip to the next song whenever Justin Bieber shows up on playing song. This is Windows only, and run as a backgroung process. It does work with remote, such as when you play music on your phone, and just start Spotify on Windows to monitor the playing song.

#Persistent
StringCaseSense, Off
SetTitleMatchMode, 2
DetectHiddenWindows, On

SetTimer, CheckForBlacklist, 250
return

CheckForBlacklist:
    WinGetTitle, Title, ahk_class SpotifyMainWindow
    IfInString, Title, justin bieber
        Send {Media_Next}
return
cmilne9

well that helps thanks.  I also think they could implement a more advanced system like a 5 star system, it would work the same way only you can give some songs more stars than others, there would still be a thumbs down but if you pick thumbs up it asks you how many stars and would play shuffled songs with some being more frequent than others. just an idea i had to add more customizable playlists

Isshinryu777
Yes please!!