Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Music] Block / Hide / Blacklist Tracks or Artists

The Star feature should be complemented with a way to mark tracks as excluded. Those tracks would then be skipped even when included in the current playlist.
This way the enjoyment of a good album wouldn't be disrupted by tracks you don't like, while the album in its entirety can still be kept in the playlist.
The Anti-star can easily be implemented as a flipside to the regular star as they are mutually exclusive. Click the star once, the track becomes a favorite. Click again, the star icon changes to the anti-star and click a third time and either flag is gone.

A no-brainer to me.

Updated on 2020-05-13

Hey, 

Thanks for coming to the Community Idea Exchange.
We're marking this idea as 'Implemented'.

The option 'Don't play this artist' is now available on iOS and Android.

You can also find more info on hiding individual tracks from playlists or albums here.

If we have any information about this on other platforms in the future, we'll report back!

Comments
fraktalisman

In the "daily mix" in my desktop spotify player, there is no option to block an artist. Even when I click on "view artist", this option to block an artist, is missing again. Please fix the error and bring back the block button. Thanks.

Jkellyinsf

Where is this feature?  I don't see it in the Android app.  

I see a "hide" icon which says it hides this track in this playlist, but it's not clear what problem that solves.  If I don't like the song, I don't like the song.  I don't want to hear it anywhere else either. 

What is going on?  I get the sense you're looking for sneaky ways to get me to eat the broccoli.

beccavaughan

I'd like to point out that while this feature only works when the blocked artist is considered primary. Meaning that if that artist is featured on someone else's song, you will still hear their music. 

For example, I was excited to hear of this feature and immediately blocked Chris Brown and R.Kelly from their artist pages. Not 5 minutes later, I heard Chris Brown because he was featured in other people's songs. This was disappointing to me because when I see "Don't play this artist" I expected that it would block ALL their music, including those songs in which they're featured.

I'm fully aware of the "Ignore" and "Skip" buttons, which I continue to use, but it'd be great if this feature truly did what it claims. The current implementation of this feature is a good start, but in my opinion, it's not working properly yet. 

lemon9

Its so god damn irritating that they refused to impliment features on desktop software.They also case closed the ban artist in radio,guess who will never ever use the radio feature?

lemon9

so uh....why is duo songs with the banned artist still here?

ouqei

Not implemented.

Just a "Don't play this artist" option which isn't even deployed across all Spotify apps can't be marked as "implemented". (maybe prototype)

* needs to be available on all Spotify apps, regardless of OS or device
* option should be there for individual songs and albums, not just artists
* blacklist should apply in any situation (when automatically continuing to play similar songs, when playing a generated playlist...), unless I directly select to play a blacklisted song/album/artist

mattlennon3

Yeah this has been bugging me for years now and I have finally got around to finding a thread and commenting on it.

Can you P-L-E-A-S-E allow us to block certain artists & songs. I am sick of hearing their intros and scrambling to skip them out of sheer irritation.

I skip these same songs EVERY time they come on, why are they always mixed into the first 10 songs on the autoplay?

I see the feature is marked implemented - but only on mobile and even then it sounds half-baked from the comments.

Please add this for desktop users, have it sync between devices, that is all we need.

Thankyou

baffillo

Please implement this in Desktop apps!!!

baffillo
I think the developers there are simply ignoring this implementation for all distributions/apps types in order to inflate the exposure of some chosen artist, based on demanding of the music labels. Either that or your algorithm sucks big time.

realmadmartian

We need this for Alexa. She keeps playing the wrong artist.