Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Limit Editing Access in Collaborative Playlists

This problem has already been addressed in other ideas quite a few times, so I'll make it brief. At the moment, anyone can edit a collaborative playlist. There are numerous ways to solve this, e.g. granting the creator the right to put people on blacklists or whitelists. Another easy fix that might be a separate link for the creator to share only with persons who shoud be able to add and delete song! It would already help a lot 🙂

Hey everyone!

We're happy to announce that you will soon have new options for managing collaborative playlists - they are rolling out to everyone over the coming weeks.

Users will have the ability to review who currently has access to individual playlists, share collaborative playlists with large public groups, or keep them small and private for that special tightly-knit group of friends.

You will be able to:
  • Pick your favorites. As a playlist creator, you can now invite or remove users from collaborating on your playlists, meaning there’s more control over who has access to editing the content you love.
  • Share privately. You can now set your collaborative playlists to private, so no one can view, search, listen to or share a playlist– except for those chosen few who have been invited or given collaborative access.
  • Change your mind? At any given time, a playlist owner has the power to see, add and remove who gets to collaborate and follow their playlists.
For details on how the feature works, see:

Because of this change, this other idea is also being implemented. 

If you don't see this yet, don't worry. Just make sure to keep your app up to date and it should be available for you soon. 

Thanks for giving us your feedback in the Community.
Comments
B-Way

Hello dear Spotify support & community,

If I put a playlist on "Shared Playlist", any of my friends can access and edit it. I don't want that. I would like to be able to invite someone so that I can only manage this playlist with 1 other person.

Have a good week guys. 🙂

Big Greetz from Northern Germany

B-Way aka. Sven S.

razzimo

A group of friends and I have been adding songs to a collaborative playlist since 2015! Suddenly, 3-4 random users found our playlist and absolutely SPAMMED the playlist accompanied by unnecessary deletions. The playlist is now private; therefore, songs cannot be added at this moment. A blacklist feature would be much appreciated! 

CherylLin

Recently my friend and I made a collaborative playlist but one day we found out that a random person added a lot of songs out of nowhere. We could only delete those songs to get rid of the person, and if the owner of the palylist change the setting to personal, then the other one would not be able to edit anymore. This really bothers us. Spotify should really change the settings. For example, only those who are invited can edit the palylist or just made some options like "public," "private," and "unlisted." 

Nikkvfox

When I turn on collaborative playlist, everyone can add songs to my playlist. That just annoying. I only want people to add songs to my playlist when I'm shares collaborative link to a specific person. Please fix it. At least add ann option to request to add songs to my playlist from new person.

Now some random peeps adding songs to my playlist. I've to remove the each and every songs they've added. Please give me a solution

It's frustrating

B-Way

I wrote exactly the same thing here before.

But it just closed. Hopefully someone will understand your text now ...

I had already made 2 such posts and it was always closed.

PLEASE Spotify, tries to put something like that in ... it really sucks ...

Have a nice day and thank you very much!
your B-WAY

shelbyhannah7

Long time Spotify user! Hope my voice gets heard here.

I love the collaborative playlist feature and think it's a great way to share music with one another, but I know I am not the only one who has experienced someone (either known or random stranger) deleting or moving songs around their playlist in lieu of their own, or removing songs just to be rude. I think there should be toggle-like controls on the collaborative playlist feature that if selected, prevent collaborators from making changes to things that were not added by them like songs added by other collaborators, the playlist title, etc... Collaborative playlists have been around for quite some time so I'm shocked something like this doesn't exist.

Hoping to hear about this soon!

Nikkvfox

Yeahh please fix this. Or create a poll on twitter regarding this issue.

buraktrz

Hello,

As I see, when you create or change your playlist as a collaborative playlist, everybody can remove songs from the playlist. I want to change my playlist to a collaborative playlist but I'm afraid that somebody who is ill-minded will remove all of my songs from the playlist. So I think there has to be an option for the creator of the playlist. The creator can dismiss remove authorization and therefore third person only can add songs to the playlist but can't remove anything.

cubelet

If there could also be some blanket rules for people who actually want random collaborations that'd be awesome. Some default access rights like add, don't delete, # of songs per user, etc would make it really fun without things getting wrecked every time internet folks try to make one of these.

jasonUX

Spotify, please take this suggestion seriously. 

Over 1500 people said they needed this feature in a previous request.

Personally, I have playlists I created for my kids that my SO collaborates on. They know the name of the playlist, so they ask Google to play it for them. But instead of the kid-friendly songs I expected, we get random junk (including explicit tracks) added by Mr. "Picked Tracks", "Music4You" or "SongSuggestor(Beta)".

It doesn't make me feel great about paying for a Spotify Family plan if I can't control what is on the playlist I created for my 4 year old. 

jasonUX_0-1638504653857.png

jasonUX_0-1638506528980.png