Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Sorting Options for List of Playlists

I would love to be able to sort my playlists by Artists, then drill down by album so as not to clutter my Spotify. It's pretty hard to organize my playlists the current way. Any ideas on a future iteration that will enable this capability?

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks,

Slight update to this idea, which we think is worth highlighting. With the recent update to Your Library on mobile, it's now possible to sort and filter your Playlists, Artists and Albums in more ways. 

To find the filters, just pull down on the tab you're on, select filters and then choose the one you'd like. The 'Custom Order' filter on the Playlist section will mirror the order you have on Desktop - which means it's now possible to maintain the way your organise your tunes on Desktop across to Mobile. 

We'd recommend checking out this Spotify Answer for tips on how to add playlist folders using the desktop app. They're super handy for keeping your music organized.

With the search function at the top it's also possible to drill down by Artist in your Album section. To do so, just pull down and type the name of the artist you're looking for. 

Will now mark this idea as Implemented.

Thanks!

Comments
robojack1967
That is only for Mobile though........Not desktop.

Koos1

HI Guys, 

People have been asking for the ability to sort their playlists for 75 pages of comments now, and you have not responded since 2012, that is REALLY bad customer service.

robojack1967

Check this thread of feedback received via email regarding this issue. Its very commical. I love Spotify but this inept level of support is frustrating.

SPOTIFY:

Thanks for getting in touch with us with feedback. We understand that you'd like sorting options, too. 

As we've written, we don't have plans to offer playlist sorting options, but we've launched the Your Music feature which allows you to sort through your collection by Songs, Artists and Albums. We have found no reason to respond further, or place a different text, simply because our position hasn't changed. Because of Your Music, there are many ways to arrange a listening experience, and dragging playlists up the menu has been easy for many. 

We're always looking to improve Spotify in any way we can. We can’t say now if or when any specific release will be out, but as soon as we've got something to announce, we'll let everyone know on the Spotify blog.

If there's anything else we can help you with, please send us an email.

Cheers,

Marc

Spotify Customer Support

ME:

Why, if you think it not important to have, do you have it on mobile?

SPOTIFY:

Hello Jack,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We currently don't have sorting on the mobile app either, if that's what you're asking. 

As stated in the previous email, we're constantly looking for ways to improve Spotify and your feedback is appreciated.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Cheers!

Echo

Spotify Customer Support

ME:

If you go to playlists then the menu at the top right you can sort by NAME. That is sorting playlists no?

SPOTIFY:

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Yes you're correct! At the top of the Playlist section on your mobile device you can filter alphabetically. 
Happy listening! 

Kind regards,

Alan

Spotify Customer Support

ME:

So why can't you guys do this on desktop?

SPOTIFY:

Hello again,

Thanks for getting in touch with your feedback.

This sounds like a great idea, thanks for sharing! Please feel free to share it on our ideas board.

You can get other users to show their support by voting on the idea. We’ll keep everyone updated on its status. Maybe your idea could even make it into the app some day.

Let us know if you have any other great ideas or feedback.

Have a great day!

nitrixion

Wow.  That's amazing.  That type of customer support is yet another reason to move to Google All-Access Music.  I moved over about a month ago and couldn't be happier.

Just to post it again, here is a handy tool for porting playlists from Spotify to Google Music: https://github.com/rckclmbr/pyportify

Plasland

Today's posts of the back-and-forth emails by robojack1967  is really enjoyable to read. Once.

First reaction is how silly SPOTIFY's responses are, but then comes the realization that it is absolutely incredible how a sophisticated corporation in 2015 can't comprehend what its paying customers want. Sam Walton, founder of Wal-Mart, said "The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but LEGENDARY." 

EVERYTHING gets alphabetized! We learn how to alphabetize in kindergarden for crying out loud and our lives are organized around being alphabetized - has anyone at SPOTIFY referenced a phone book recently? SPOTIFY - are your work files random or organized? 

USERS clearly WANT something on their DESKTOP that they can get on their PHONE! I hope that "Mark", "Echo", and "Alan" take the time to actually read robojack1967's post AND MAKE AN EFFORT TO FULLY COMPREHEND HOW FOOLISH THAT EMAIL STRING MAKES THEM LOOK.

Writing code to alphabetize a user's playlists can't be that difficult or time-consuming. Farm it out to an intern or two - they could probably get it done in a week.

Cheers! Have a Great Day! Happy Listening! 

I'd rather be happily alphabetizing.

Plasland

alexdamaceno

Guys, this feature is in third place on the Live Ideas (just after "Add support for Google ChromeCast" and "Spotify Xbox One app").

We, premium costumers, really should do something. This is a BASIC FEATURE, it is possible to do it on the mobile apps and, in my humble opinion, Spotify is simply ignoring us, costumers who use the desktop app regularly and care about it.

How about a Facebook page or a Twitter campaign? Something funny, not angry, to draw attention to our request? They are way deep into the mobile world, but not everything is mobile. Complaining here is going nowhere.

tommy678

I know it's a pain but I have discovered you can drag the playlists to any location. (Spotify Newbie)

Just hover over the playlist, left click on mouse and drag playlist to where you want.

Ok it's not perfect, but luckily I don't have tons of playlists as yet, so once i've re-arranged them, it should be easy to maintain.

Hope that helps!

alexdamaceno

Think most people here already know that, man.

And many people here don't have a handful of playlists, they have a lot of them.

The main complain here is: this is a basic feature, every player and every streaming service organizes playlists alphabetically. Even Spotify, on the mobile apps! Why not on the desktop app? Why? I think that's because they don't want to.

rrudolphjr

The fact that something so simple doesn't exist is just mind boggling. It is almost like Spotify employees don't even use the service as much as most users. If they did, having to drag all their playlists around would annoy them too. 

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated: 2015-09-17

Hey folks, Spotify staff here. We definitely understand that playlist sorting options is something many users have supported here. However the original poster @COCCIDIOIDES has asked specifically for the ability to sort playlists by 'artists' and then by 'album'.

The majority of comments in this thread are not around that feature, many are asking for the ability to sort playlists from A-Z. We are continuing to pass the feedback from these threads to teams internally at Spotify but if you're after the ability to alphabetize playlists I recommend adding your kudos to this idea here: Alphabetical playlist sorting options We've added 1500 kudos from here to that idea. Thanks everyone!