Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Sorting Options for List of Playlists

I would love to be able to sort my playlists by Artists, then drill down by album so as not to clutter my Spotify. It's pretty hard to organize my playlists the current way. Any ideas on a future iteration that will enable this capability?

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks,

Slight update to this idea, which we think is worth highlighting. With the recent update to Your Library on mobile, it's now possible to sort and filter your Playlists, Artists and Albums in more ways. 

To find the filters, just pull down on the tab you're on, select filters and then choose the one you'd like. The 'Custom Order' filter on the Playlist section will mirror the order you have on Desktop - which means it's now possible to maintain the way your organise your tunes on Desktop across to Mobile. 

We'd recommend checking out this Spotify Answer for tips on how to add playlist folders using the desktop app. They're super handy for keeping your music organized.

With the search function at the top it's also possible to drill down by Artist in your Album section. To do so, just pull down and type the name of the artist you're looking for. 

Will now mark this idea as Implemented.

Thanks!

Comments
elixury
Hey Emil, sadly that’ll have to be done on the desktop version (on PC/mac) where you can organize multiple playlists into folders. From there, the way you organize from the desktop version will carry over to the mobile version.

..and yes it’s frustrating that you can’t do all of this on the mobile version 😕
B0caj

Hey @elixury .

Thank you for the reply! Doesn't matter that I need a computer, just glad that it's possible.

jonashallen

@B0caj

Hi Emil!

Yes, it's possible to sort the playlists differently in the playlist view, but not in the pop-up menu when adding a song to a playlist.

I don't think you can create a playlist folder in the mobile app (I'm using android). But on desktop you go to File > New Playlist Folder. You can even create subfolders by dragging a folder into another! Very useful. 

GemAye

So I'm still unable to sort playlists.

Yeah, I can order playlists on the pc app, but this order is not copied to the android app.

Also its not possible to "pull down"???? the "tab"???? on the android app, I'm not sure what you mean by this but I can't figure this out.

In the library, I'm unable to find any sorting tool.

Only within a playlist there is the possibility to put the songs into some kind of order by tapping on the 3 little dots on the right top side of the screen.

Just please stop messing with the order I've put my PLAYLISTS in, leave them be!!!! Thank you.

cjcroft
In the Android App, in "Your Library", select "Playlists". If you drag down
slightly, right above "Create playlist" is "Find in playlists" and right
next to it is "Filters". Under "Sort by", the "Custom" sort is supposed to
mirror your list on your Spotify desktop app.

That being said, this thread is about easy ways to sort playlists on the
Desktop App. All you can do is drag them around to order them how you want
them. But if you have over 100 playlists in your list, that's quite a slow
and grueling process. Give us a sort by like they do in the mobile app. It
can't be that difficult.
GemAye

Thank you for explaining! And I agree with you about having a sorting feature in the desktop app. Unless the names we give to playlists aren't dominant at all.

Mcoops

Anyone else having problems getting this to work? 

When i 'pull down on the tab you're on, select filters and then choose the one you'd like' the screen doesnt come down far enough for me to get to the filters section. 

The few times it has, i cant seem to find the options mentioned either, it just goes to a search screen,

Seems very buggy too....

Not being able to view saved artists in alphabetical order is ridiculous. I am very disappointed with this hassle. Bring back the option to view the way I've been paying for several years now, or I will unsubscribe. This is amazingly offensive and manipulative of you.

stockba
Lol
andyrich29

Despite the contempt for its premium paying customers, Spotify is still the best out there. But not for long if it carries on in this way.