Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Podcasts] Push Notification for new Episodes

All of us Podcast lovers would definitely welcome a push notifications for new podcast episodes. Please consider! 

Updated on 2021-08-25

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that we've implemented New Episode Notifications and they're now available on iOS and Android mobile devices only.

How will New Episode Notifications work?
Starting August 17th, a Push Notification will be sent when a Show that users subscribed to releases a New Episode. Users won’t receive notifications for Episodes that they have already listened to.

How do I subscribe to New Episode Notifications?
From mobile, users can subscribe to receive notifications using the Bell icon on the Podcast Show page. If a user hits the Bell, they will automatically Follow the Show too. Users can also subscribe/unsubscribe by navigating to Notification Settings in the Spotify app, and selecting notification Settings, which displays all their followed Shows and subscription status. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Mcutting

I currently use Pocketcasts to let me know when a new podcast episode is out, and then Spotify to actually listen to it. Push-notifications for podcasts is a must! Come on Spotify!

marissakay89

I use spotify for my podcasts, but can you please please PLEASE put push notifications when a podcast I am following releases a new episode?

Maditate

Notifications would be great if they pop up when a new episode from a podcast you follow is posted. It's challenging to keep track of when new episodes come out for all different podcasts that I listen to.

zzzaaaccc

I used to use Google Play podcasts. The push notifications worked fine, you can subscribe to podcasts and choose your download preferences. I moved off of it because my podcasts don't support it. I moved to Spotify but that lack of notifications for podcasts is a huge bummer.

Rosthouse

Push notificatons would be immensly helpful, especially since I listen to many different podcasts. There's a help list with the latest episodes now, which is a step in the right direction. Still, I'd prefere push notifications.

What's to research? It's been 2 years and you're still not sure whether or not to implement notifications? Pull your finger out.

What you should of done in the first place is created a channel to push notifications for all new podcast episode releases. Once that was done you could then take your time implementing notifications for only certain podcasts. 

Auto downlaod of new releases would be much appreciated also.

I noticed that you recently implemented skip and a sleep timer. Just add notifications, auto download and 'mark all as played' and you'll have all the makings of basic podcast player.

keveh

Well said 👏

It's been over a year since I posted on here and still get updates to the thread. I've moved away from Spotify for my podcasts completely now.

Kev

Eds89

I too am going to give up on using Spotify for podcasts, and will stick to Pocket Casts.

iamJesseLee

Really want this idea to come ot fuition. There are podcasts I follow that aren't always regular with their weekly uploads and take hiatuses. In that event I'd like a notification so I know when they upload a new episode. I also just like to be notified of a new podcast I'm following in general.

TLDR; DO THIS!

iamJesseLee

Also, Spotify stopped using ios notifications and I'm not sure why? It's so **bleep** silly.