Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Possibility to add friends without Facebook Accounts (Spotify ID)

Hi! I just stumbled across a problem; I have friends who don't have facebook / don't use facebook / who hate facebook.

I tried searching a way to add them as friends so I could send them songs and see their playlists etc, but I was unable to find a solution... 

Suggestion:

- To be able to add friends using their Spotify login ID

- To be able to see their actions in Spotify Social (what they are listening to)

2015-01-08

Hey everyone! You can now find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook).

Thanks for kudos and comments on this idea. We'd love to keep getting your feedback around this feature! 

Comments
LeinieGuy

I'm sorry Spotify developers, but this is all INCREDIBLY stupid: Making users have to search this community page for technical support in order to learn that the proper technique for searching friends is using "spotify:user:USERNAME" in the search box is such a fail in user friendliness.

I've tried to find a couple friends, outside of Facebook, through all the portals -- the desktop app, the mobile app, and the web player.  And having to use that particular syntax, even though it works, is not cool to your user community.

Why can't users just simply input their friend's username in the search box??? Searching is one of the most basic web operations ever -- what's the problem?? Making us have to do research like this to find the magic syntax is BS.

CKS49

@LeinieGuy

Have to say that I agree.

Hardly very efficient or ergonomic.

Come On, Spotify, I do think this whole thing could have been done better.

LeinieGuy

Ok, they have finally fixed this issue. You can now search for users by their username in the search box.

dabradford3

This does not seem to work for me

CKS49

@dabradford3

It does for me now, on my mobile iPhone app

CKS49

@dabradford3

Check the version of Spotify.

It was updated on the App Store yesterday, and on the Store for Windows 10.

I have just done so and it works fine

LeinieGuy

Great point. A couple days ago my Mac OS (desktop) version had an update as well, and then it started working.

CKS49

@LeinieGuy

There we go,

Pass this on to the others.

It'll alert them to the solution.

Thanks

BeerBelly

Oh thank god. Facebook is on the way out, and I think that's becoming more and more apparent. I was really frustrated that it seemed like the only way to connect with friends was through facebook, which I thought was a terrible idea to begin with.

CKS49

@BeerBelly

Glad I could help.