Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Possibility to add friends without Facebook Accounts (Spotify ID)

Hi! I just stumbled across a problem; I have friends who don't have facebook / don't use facebook / who hate facebook.

I tried searching a way to add them as friends so I could send them songs and see their playlists etc, but I was unable to find a solution... 

Suggestion:

- To be able to add friends using their Spotify login ID

- To be able to see their actions in Spotify Social (what they are listening to)

2015-01-08

Hey everyone! You can now find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook).

Thanks for kudos and comments on this idea. We'd love to keep getting your feedback around this feature! 

Comments

Cant afford like I can.**

Not can

@neo-x wrote:

Hi! I just stumbled across a problem; I have friends who don't have facebook / don't use facebook / who hate facebook.

I tried searching a way to add them as friends so I could send them songs and see their playlists etc, but I was unable to find a solution... 

Suggestion:

- To be able to add friends using their Spotify login ID

- To be able to see their actions in Spotify Social (what they are listening to)

mbrenneis

Here is what I just fogured out that was confusing me and peraps others. The find friends box on the Follow page is just for finding friends on that page. The search function for users by usernames works on the main search box.

I thrashed this for a while and read this entire thread, then tried the regular search box with spotify:user:username and scored.

zap3001

I don't know why everyone is still using spotify:user:username in the search field.  There are 2 types of users.  The ones from Facebook that can be searched by first and last name and the users who are not on Facebook and just use a userid.  In the search field of your Spotify app you can type first name "Kyle" and off the drop-down menu you scroll down to Profiles and click the title "Profiles" and it will give you a full hit list of all Kyle first name accounts.  The same thing will happen with last name.  If the user is not on Facebook the only way to search is using the username.  You can type "lk" and scroll down and select Profiles and search results will give you a list of accts that have "lk" in it.  But you still need to get the other user to follow you, which is so IDIOTIC.  When I find a user and click the Follow button it should just send the user an email letting them know that you are following them.  If the user then wants to block or un-follow you they should be able to do it within the Spotify app.  It's really very simple.  Even Pandora does it that way.  What is wrong with the Spotify engineers?  Do you need my help??

shawzy88
I'd like to be able to see who is using Spotify out of my friends on FB. Through the Spotify app, and add with a button. I access Spotify through Facebook and it doesn't show.
benqtrevolo

I am following my friends now, but when I cannot send them my songs. I entered their username, and the send button is always gray out.

osornios

Hey @benqtrevolo,

You should ask them to follow you back. If they do so, you should be able to share tracks between you.

Hope it helps. 🙂

zadss

sometimes typing names doesn't work

rubenlot

None of the described ways works for me on mobile devices.

Me and my friends don't use Facebook and never will.

Though I found the users with the "spotify:user:NAME"-syntax and followed them and they are following me back, and I can send them a song from the desktop client, it's not possible to send anything from a mobile device - which are far the most used devices nowadays.

So this is a kind of a showstopper for me. I'm a premium-user (a family-subscription) and cannot share anything with my family-members or other non-facebook-friends! Very disappointing!

olafschroeder

Hi osornios,

your solution is just how it SHOULLD work. But it doesn´t!

Look at the above benqtrevolo, rubenlot and for me it's just the same. And I bet benqtrevolo has checked out your suggestion but his button still is "always grayed out" just like mine.

I can just second rubenlot's point of view: premium family member / can't share with my family / very disappointed!! 😞 

Best regards from Dortmund, Germany

Olaf

osornios

@olafschroeder

Are you trying in mobile devices only? It's a known issue. Check this thread out.

It should work if you try in the Desktop app though.