Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Radio] Bring back Playlist Radio context menu option for everything

Official response from Spotify as of 4 Feb 2019:

"

Apologies, but the playlist radio context menu has been removed with our current update.

Paul
Spotify Customer Support

"

So there you have it.

-----

Please vote on the right -->

This is an intentional change by Spotify, so we need to make it heard that we want this feature back. Read on below.

-----

Let spotify know you want this feature back: go to https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/ > Other > I still need help and write to them

-----

This is a request that Spotify undo their change over the last two weeks to remove the context-menu Playlist radio option from all their platforms.

It is NOT sufficient to link to "Where is Radio?" https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my... - this is not a communications issue, or a learning curve issue.

We are asking very precisely that Spotify undo this change. Return the "Playlist radio" contextual option in all platforms. We further ask that it return for all objects, i.e all playlists (created by the user or other users), albums, artists etc. Basically: make it like it used to be.

The most obvious example is that the create radio playlist option is missing from the right-click context menu on Macos and Windows. But all platforms now make it more difficult to create radio playlists.

It disappeared for me on my Mac last week, Windows PC on Monday and Android yesterday.

Once you get the update, to create a radio station you now need to go to Radio > Create Radio Station, this will then open a sidebar which you can type the name of your playlist into using your keyboard which will then give you the option to create a radio station. So the feature is effectively buried.

I contacted support and they said:

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period. Let us know what you think over at our Community.

Seems like they are following an industry trend of removing features from their service to "reduce complexity". Looks like design bunker thinking to me.

I hope the option returns.

If it doesn't return, vote with your wallet. Youtube Music has playlist radio on everything and 1 month free trial: https://www.youtube.com/premium

Updated on 2019-03-20

Hey folks, 

The Radio feature should appear on the context menu of most albums, tracks and playlists. To access the menu, just right click on desktop or click the three dots on mobile. There you'll see the option to select 'Go to Song/Album/Playlist Radio'. 

As a heads up, there's been some recent changes to the way Radio works. You can check out the details of this here. It looks like the more recent comments on this thread are about these changes to Radio. There's a new idea about this specifically which you can add your vote to here.

Thanks!

Comments
CarrieKerins

Okay, so now that it's 2019, the playlist radios, song radios, and artist radios are becoming a pre-created radio based on an algoritham that doesn't really work. Instead of an unilmited amount of songs similar to a pandora radio, we get 50 songs, some that are sort of similar to the artist or genre, few that are perfectly spot on, and a handful of random out-of-context genres.

And to top it off, it isn't special to your listening history, because it says "500 people follow this radio." That means 500 people wanted songs/artists to listen to that were similar to a specific song or artist, but only get 50 songs instead of a customizable, unlimited playlist radio of songs.

PLEASE bring this feature back! I miss being able to find new music, this was how I used to do it. I listen to MULTIPLE genres and don't always have the mood to listen to classical/instrumental ambient music, or Billie Eilish anti-pop, or even typical pop music. And sometimes I do. But now that this feature is gone I rarely get interesting songs on my discovery weekly (and not to mention my daily mixes are all out of wack because of my listening history, I have a weird daily mix of artists I don't even listen to). 

I didn't have enough kudos to post this as an idea thread but once I have enough I will post it. This is rediculous.

hatchman1976
Adding my voice here. I am not happy at all that this feature has been removed. Please reinstate it.
katrsrose

Hi I would have loved the chance to see and maybe save out some of my old radio stations as playlists or something had I known they were going away (since it seems this is how radio work now, you follow stations like you would a playlist) - Is there anyway to see even see what stations I had created so I could start rebuilding them as playlists? I'm upset I put time into cultivating the radio stations for them to just be gone.

Chuanito

This is a joke. What the frick are you guys doing at spotify?? Removing song/artists radio... why? because it was too complex? how it couldn't be simpler than clicking on a song/artists context menu and "start radio". even if it was too complex removing it doesn't make it simpler. what kind of business practises are you using?

i've had enough with every update spotify gets worse and worse.

-No whole folder playback on mobile anymore

-no real shuffle function

-switching from one device to another still completely messes up the playlist

- and now this? removing one of the best features because it was too complex??

we complain here in the forums and you say you listen but you never do. since you only seem to realize your stupidity when it comes to money i'm switching to deezer this was the last month i've subbed. 

another great product and a great community ruined by a greedy management.

simplestuff

TO EVERYONE WHO GETS AN EMAIL WHEN SOMEONE COMMENTS, I MADE A PETITION FOR THIS.

Please can you sign and share it and hopefully it might pick up enough steam for Spotify to listen to it.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bring-back-the-songplaylist-radio-feature-on-spotify.html

As you can tell, I really want Radio back!

I'm in agreement with CarrieKerins. But I have always found Spotify's radio not as good as Pandora or Google play. However, they were still useful from time to time.

Additionally, we can no longer save a playlist radio. We can save a song radio or artist radio, but not one created from a playlist. In Android Auto, there is no way to start a radio from a playlist--only from the currently playing song. The only way to play a playlist radio in Android Auto is start the radio first, then it will show up in recently played.

I've always thought that Spotify was playlists centric, now with the new update, even more so.

benorg

If you notice that the current spotify radio is missing the thumbs up thumbs down buttons it used to have, check out this post. Spotify needs to reinstate personalized radios.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Radio-Bring-Back-Personalized-Radio-...

NeedMusicNow

Song radio was the reason i moved from Pandora to Spotify. 

Whatever the reason they quietly ended it, is not a good enough reason because we are leaving. 

Does Tidal have a song radio function? I tried looking into it, but all i see is that other people curate playlists. The whole point of this amazing tech is that you can curate what YOU like, NOT what someone else likes! 

I hate the changes spotify has made, and I’m not going to wait around for them to change it back!!

Hit me with the best option! I was excited about Tidal for the hi-fi quality (even tho it prob chews more data)

angelx644

Hello Everyone, if you are reading this:
There is no solution, Spotify will not solve the problem. If you currently have a paid subscription, end it now. 
I did and it truly feels much better, knowing that I'm not paying for Spotify to ignore our feature requests.

VyseLIFE

I’m officially so confused..

every new post I find about this issue it includes a response from Spotify, oppose the last one! It is included or it isn’t.. it’s free or it’s premium. THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO FIND THE CURRENT INFO.. if every few years you change your mind back.. very frustrated.