Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Radio] Bring back Playlist Radio context menu option for everything

Official response from Spotify as of 4 Feb 2019:

"

Apologies, but the playlist radio context menu has been removed with our current update.

Paul
Spotify Customer Support

"

So there you have it.

-----

Please vote on the right -->

This is an intentional change by Spotify, so we need to make it heard that we want this feature back. Read on below.

-----

Let spotify know you want this feature back: go to https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/ > Other > I still need help and write to them

-----

This is a request that Spotify undo their change over the last two weeks to remove the context-menu Playlist radio option from all their platforms.

It is NOT sufficient to link to "Where is Radio?" https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my... - this is not a communications issue, or a learning curve issue.

We are asking very precisely that Spotify undo this change. Return the "Playlist radio" contextual option in all platforms. We further ask that it return for all objects, i.e all playlists (created by the user or other users), albums, artists etc. Basically: make it like it used to be.

The most obvious example is that the create radio playlist option is missing from the right-click context menu on Macos and Windows. But all platforms now make it more difficult to create radio playlists.

It disappeared for me on my Mac last week, Windows PC on Monday and Android yesterday.

Once you get the update, to create a radio station you now need to go to Radio > Create Radio Station, this will then open a sidebar which you can type the name of your playlist into using your keyboard which will then give you the option to create a radio station. So the feature is effectively buried.

I contacted support and they said:

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period. Let us know what you think over at our Community.

Seems like they are following an industry trend of removing features from their service to "reduce complexity". Looks like design bunker thinking to me.

I hope the option returns.

If it doesn't return, vote with your wallet. Youtube Music has playlist radio on everything and 1 month free trial: https://www.youtube.com/premium

Updated on 2019-03-20

Hey folks, 

The Radio feature should appear on the context menu of most albums, tracks and playlists. To access the menu, just right click on desktop or click the three dots on mobile. There you'll see the option to select 'Go to Song/Album/Playlist Radio'. 

As a heads up, there's been some recent changes to the way Radio works. You can check out the details of this here. It looks like the more recent comments on this thread are about these changes to Radio. There's a new idea about this specifically which you can add your vote to here.

Thanks!

Comments
bmgoau

Official response from Spotify as of 4 Feb 2019:

"

Apologies, but the playlist radio context menu has been removed with our current update.

Paul
Spotify Customer Support

"

So there you have it.

TK3950

And there goes my subscription.

TrueCherokee

Pretty much in the same boat as everyone else.  I was willing to pay for spotify premium because I got features like the playlist radio which helped me find a lot of good music I'd never heard before.  Without that it's just a bloated media player.  I'll switch to paying a different service at this rate. 

teofrast

One of the features I loved Spotify for. And now what? Time to see what competitions offer? 😞

OR??? Is the feature autoplay the exactly same thing? Except I am not aible to see next songs as easy as at "Radio from.."?

darkcubix

Can we get anyone from Spotify to just give some context?  You don't have to spell out the secret sauce, just give your supporters something to go on.

Something to show that Spotify has something else better in mind.  I mean, is a little PR to much to ask?  It's not like you have a proper release notes section where I can check out what is going on in each release. 

Seriously, without the ability to tune a station to one's tastes, how is Spotify any better than Windows Media Player against one's personal music collecton?  Not argueing the point of music selection but how one uses that collection.

bmgoau

The best subscribers is one that pays and consumes little product. Radio encouraged passive listening, and thus royalties, which lowers shareholder profits.

That, or the radio feature was infringing on a patent or regulation around what license/fee is required to be a "radio station".

s0mm3r

who TF had the idea to remove this?

😠

whoever it was

fire him

now

glenn_mcdonald

Go to Playlist Radio is now back on both desktop and mobile.

TK3950

Frankly, I don't care what their reasons were. Any reason is a dumb one. Removing FEATURES is not the way to keep a paying customer happy. Many of us, myself included, began using Spofity SOLELY because the radio FEATURES were useful. Playlist Radio was/is the most customizable, most tunable way to discover music based on sound and similarity to other songs YOU know YOU like. Spotify foolishly felt it was appropriate to kill off an entire section of their userbase by removing a longstanding feature without providing justification, alternatives, or improvements.

They removed Playlist Radio on my account, I made a stink to customer support and suddenly it came back the next day. Spotify then removed it again, and I cancelled my subscription (as I'm sure many of us have). I checked this morning, and Playlist Radio had not returned -- now it has. But my subscrption is not coming back. Certainly not right away, at least. Now is their chance to show their customers what sort of company they are. Do they believe happy customers are worth more than whatever cost they were trying to cut out? Do they want to expand their userbase or shrink it?

Other users, current or former, remember to voice your opinions. If you have a complaint, speak out - on social media, to customer support, and if you speak with your wallet then remember to fill out the exit survey.

eyeheartny
It’s not back though, at least not on mobile for me? I can see Playlist
Radio but it’s not like it used to be. No thumbs up or down, so the station
doesn’t customize as you listen. What am I missing? Do you have those
features back?