Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Radio] Bring back Playlist Radio context menu option for everything

Official response from Spotify as of 4 Feb 2019:

"

Apologies, but the playlist radio context menu has been removed with our current update.

Paul
Spotify Customer Support

"

So there you have it.

-----

Please vote on the right -->

This is an intentional change by Spotify, so we need to make it heard that we want this feature back. Read on below.

-----

Let spotify know you want this feature back: go to https://support.spotify.com/us/contact-spotify-support/ > Other > I still need help and write to them

-----

This is a request that Spotify undo their change over the last two weeks to remove the context-menu Playlist radio option from all their platforms.

It is NOT sufficient to link to "Where is Radio?" https://support.spotify.com/using_spotify/system_settings/why-am-i-seeing-different-features-than-my... - this is not a communications issue, or a learning curve issue.

We are asking very precisely that Spotify undo this change. Return the "Playlist radio" contextual option in all platforms. We further ask that it return for all objects, i.e all playlists (created by the user or other users), albums, artists etc. Basically: make it like it used to be.

The most obvious example is that the create radio playlist option is missing from the right-click context menu on Macos and Windows. But all platforms now make it more difficult to create radio playlists.

It disappeared for me on my Mac last week, Windows PC on Monday and Android yesterday.

Once you get the update, to create a radio station you now need to go to Radio > Create Radio Station, this will then open a sidebar which you can type the name of your playlist into using your keyboard which will then give you the option to create a radio station. So the feature is effectively buried.

I contacted support and they said:

At Spotify, we’re often testing and launching improvements and new features. When we’re testing, you may see something on the app your friend doesn’t, or get a new feature for only a temporary period. Let us know what you think over at our Community.

Seems like they are following an industry trend of removing features from their service to "reduce complexity". Looks like design bunker thinking to me.

I hope the option returns.

If it doesn't return, vote with your wallet. Youtube Music has playlist radio on everything and 1 month free trial: https://www.youtube.com/premium

Updated on 2019-03-20

Hey folks, 

The Radio feature should appear on the context menu of most albums, tracks and playlists. To access the menu, just right click on desktop or click the three dots on mobile. There you'll see the option to select 'Go to Song/Album/Playlist Radio'. 

As a heads up, there's been some recent changes to the way Radio works. You can check out the details of this here. It looks like the more recent comments on this thread are about these changes to Radio. There's a new idea about this specifically which you can add your vote to here.

Thanks!

Comments
TK3950

@eyeheartny wrote:
It’s not back though, at least not on mobile for me? I can see Playlist
Radio but it’s not like it used to be. No thumbs up or down, so the station
doesn’t customize as you listen. What am I missing? Do you have those
features back?

Yes, it is back for me (for now) on Android mobile app amd Windows desktop. This morning the context menu option was still there on Android mobile, but greyed out and unselectable. Functionality has  returned, however.

eyeheartny
It’s definitely not back on iOS or Mac OS.
glenn_mcdonald

Update your iOS app, restart your Mac app? "Go to radio" is the last option on the "..." list for playlists on iOS, and "Go to Playlist Radio" is the first option on the "..." menu for playlists on Mac OS...

eyeheartny
You’re partially correct. The radio is there but none of the prior features
are there. No up/down vote, and the playlists are fixed length. So it’s not
at all like what we had before.
glenn_mcdonald

The other radio types are now 50 tracks at time (but you can take them offline, which you couldn't before), but Playlist Radio is still dynamic.

eyeheartny
Again, as I’ve said, without the ability to “tune” the station by
liking/disliking tracks, the core of the prior feature is still missing.
The stations got noticeably better when I would up/downvote them. Without
that, it’s just an auto generated playlist, not a station that I can
customize.
TK3950

While I don't use thumbs very often (ergo, doesn't affect me much), I understand that if it was part of your previous experience then it should not be taken away from you. Thus, I stand by your view that it is not entirely back. On another note, it appears my Windows client and Android app do have thumbs on Playlist Radio and doesn't provide 50 tracks statically when I go to it. Please direct those specific complains to Spotify support as well.

NakedApe

Windows 10: The Playlist Radio feature is back for me. With unlimited length and Up and Down Buttons,

Bittencourt

Great news, @NakedApe. I hope it also happens to Mac OS soon.

simplestuff

I can't understand why they have done this, there doesn't seem to be one logical reason. I don't know about anyone else but I don't even have an option to 'create new station' so I have no access to radio anymore and to make it even worse all of my saved stations have been slowly vanishing, I now only have one left for some reason. 

I'm going back to Apple music until you revert all these 'improvements' and bring back radio how it used to be.