Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Search] Search for Episodes Within a Podcast Show

Allow users to search for an epidose within a specific podcast show only, similar to searching for a song within a playlist. 

Updated on 2023-01-06

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on mobile (for both Android & iOS users). You can find "Find in this show" feature on the top of the screen when you're on the Podcast page. 

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
ric08

It would be much easier if the option to search for an episode in a particular podcast would be made available. At times, I want to search for a specific episode in a podcast but unlike in a playlist, it's not possible to do that. And some podcasts have almost a 100 episodes which makes it very difficult to search manually. Sure, the main search bar is available, but it took me quite a lot of time to find the episode I was looking for because there were too many episodes from other podcasts with the same/similar name.

So it would be great if we could have to option to search for an episode WITHIN a certain podcast. 

KamKaz

There is something very important that is found in every podcast player out there, that is lacking in the Spotify UI for podcasts and that is the ability to search for episodes within a specific podcast channel, as you would inside a playlist.

Some podcasts go back decades and there are thousands of episodes inside of them. It is very user unfriendly to have to scroll back 7 or 8 years worth of episodes to find the specific episode you're looking for. Also, if I want to find an episode with a specific keyword - I should be able to search the keyword and only have to scroll through the episodes that contain it.

This is a simple feature which has been contained in every popular podcast player for a few years already and there is no reason why Spotify hasn't done the same. Please get this together already. This has been brought up in the Community back as far as 2017 and has never been resolved. 

Wedel

I would love the feature to search in a specific podcast.
If I am looking for a specific episode with a specific guest or topic, I need to scroll through hundreds of episodes.

Should be super-simple to add a search feature that is limited to the podcast you are currently in.
Plenty of other players do have this feature

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-10-12

Hello @Wedel,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

As a workaround you can use the search bar and write the podcast name and the guest name, this should give you the desired episode in most cases.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Wedel

Thanks Alex.

I am using the workaround in the meantime. 
It is at least giving me some options to find information in a podcast.

Looking forward to get some user traction on my suggestion so it ends up with the development team.

Best regards

Christian

Knowledgeispowe

Yes completely agree! Adding my two cents from an idea I posted but Spotify just shut down:

There needs to be a BETTER WAY to browse / search for OLD PODCAST EPISODES. The entire podcast industry is designed / incentivized to get users to listen to the most recent episodes. Because of that, there is so much missed opportunity to discover and explore older podcast episodes that can be just as relevant and amazing.

1) There needs to be a way to search for specific title keywords WITHIN a podcast. For example, within "WSJ What's News", there needs to be a way to search for keyword "China", if you want to drill down in to specific podcast episodes in the last couple of months that have talked about China. It's such an obvious improvement that I can't believe it doesn't exist yet. Shocking to me. 

2) On each podcast, Spotify should automatically pull to the top the "most viewed / most popular episodes" of a particular podcast within the last 6 months or 12 months. Often times, a podcaster will have a couple really cool or special episodes. But those quickly get lost and are never discovered unless you discover it on that day. There needs to be a top 5  / most popular episodes section so that we can understand the most impactful, relevant episodes of that particular podcaster within the past months / year. Another alternative could be for the podcaster themselves to decide what are the "most relevant" 5 episodes from the last 12 months, i.e. what they would want to feature / pin at the top of their page

These improvements would DRAMATICALLY improve the browsing / searching functionality of podcasts, and allow people to find relevant podcast episodes that have occurred in the recent past. 

thanks

liomoti

This feature is so basic and so needed so it's ridiculous that users need to ask for this. just do it!

Knowledgeispowe

100%!!!!

ccs86

Seriously, this is basic functionality!

Let us search within a given podcast. Better still, make a separate podcast app. I really don't like Spotify's UI for podcasts.

josephbear

It appears this request keeps coming up and then getting linked back to an old request marked as closed, but this is such a glaring missing feature, present and essential in other podcasts apps. Main reason why I, and apparently half the internet, have to keep using other apps for podcasts. Hope it gets some attention!