Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Show cover / karaoke bands after originals

The biggest problem in Spotify is those cover bands. Show those after originals or add another column in search for tribute etc. bands.

I see cover bands and some karaoke **bleep**, but really, where are original tracks?

Do something toprioritise down in search those "cover bands and karaoke bands or tribute bands" and get original tracks instead to top. There should be option to get those tracks down in search results or to add some filter to settings (by default off). I think almost no one want to listen karaoke or cover band / tribute songs.

Search for Modjo - Lady and go to listen those covers and karaokes, there is no original tracks at all.

Sometimes when I search tracks, the cover bands are more popular than original one, is this not possible to get real music (original track) up in search catalogue? Also if there is no original track, I would like to see some information about it because I don't want to search from cover and karaoke bands list forever just to find nothing.

cover and karaoke....png

Enjoy your music. Best regards, Spotify!

There is no need to cover bands or karaoke verisons, just original one!

Thanks!

Updated: 2015-09-17

2015-09-17

Hey everyone, now you have some options to get the songs you're looking for in search results. Now search results are sorted by popularity. If you're still seeing some tracks you don't want (karaoke for instance) you can sort by album, track, artist to find what you're looking for. 

Thanks for continuing to bring your feedback to Spotify through the Idea Exchange!

Comments
fabbes92

just make a own karaoke song "area" .. listing this songs in front of the original one isn't just that perfect.

galliaj

Simple and somehwat effective. When doing a search like this: "the way ariana", add a modifier like this: "the way ariana -karaoke" to your serach string (without the quotes). Not perfect, but it helps!

Results based on  "the way ariana"

Ariana Grande – The Way

Ariana Grande – The Way - Spanglish Version
Cover da' Famous – The Way (In the Style of Ariana Grande feat. Mac Miller) [Karaoke Instrumental] {...
Backing Trax Pro – The Way (Karaoke Version) - Originally Performed By Ariana Grande
Popstar Karaoke – The Way (A Tribute to Ariana Grande & Mac Miller)
Muzic Monstaz – The Way (Karaoke Instrumental Version) [In the Style of Ariana Grande feat. Mac Mill...
Karaoke Guru – The Way (Originally by Ariana Grande & Mac Miller)
Music Junkie – The Way - Tribute to Ariana Grande and Mac Miller
Hit Mix – The Way (Origionally Performed by Ariana Grande) [Karaoke Version]
100% Backing Trax – The Way - Performance Track
100% Backing Trax – The Way - Karaoke Track
Diamond Bright Karaoke – The Way (Karaoke Version) - Originally Performed By Ariana Grande and Mac M...
Diamond Bright Karaoke – The Way (Karaoke Version) - Originally Performed By Ariana Grande, Mac Mill...
SBI Audio Karaoke – The Way (Karaoke Version) [In the Style of Ariana Grande]
Beez & Honey – The Way (Beez & Honey's Remake Version of Ariana Grande)
Peter Szeles – Die 3 Wunsche: Act II: Finale [Everybody is happy and content; the cadets and the com...
Music Junkie – The Way - Tribute to Ariana Grande and Mac Miller (Instrumental Version)

Results based on  "the way ariana -karaoke"

Ariana Grande – The Way
Ariana Grande – The Way - Spanglish Version
Music Junkie – The Way - Tribute to Ariana Grande and Mac Miller
Beez & Honey – The Way (Beez & Honey's Remake Version of Ariana Grande)
Peter Szeles – Die 3 Wunsche: Act II: Finale [Everybody is happy and content; the cadets and the com...
Music Junkie – The Way - Tribute to Ariana Grande and Mac Miller (Instrumental Version)

jester71

fully agree!

I think this is a top priority!

Realkuhl

If a legit version of a song doesn't exist, then there should be some sort of clear labling so we know were about to play a cheap knockoff band version. Oh and Spotify, cheap cover bands totally lower the quality of the Spotify name. Hey, if JK Rowling isn't available, let' bring in this girl from Abbey Roads that kinda looks like her with the right make up on.... yea, right.

autumneffect

I personally don't think cover and karaoke tracks should even be listed if the original album isn't available on Spotify....that's just me though. I'm not a fan of unoriginal music.

streboRekiM

I'd like a preference option to exclude re-makes and karoke. That way when you're looking for those things, you can turn it off. Otherwise, original artists only. This preference would allow for versions of songs that are popular to come through so it won't exclude songs such as Nirvana's version of The Man Who Sold the World. 

It's not just an issue for me in search results. Some compilation records have a mix of original and re-makes. I'd just as soon those tracks get skipped.

Under consideration - yeah.

Please results!

I mentioned this idea; what do users think about some sort of "verified status" for original tracks?  I ran into the same issue as the OP with Badfinger's "Day After Day" (and many, MANY others) - there are about 15 different versions here, and not one of them is the original.  At best, there are some re-recordings with a different vocalist (at least), and for a lot of songs even note-for-note covers just don't cut it.

Of course, this gets into an issue with "real covers," let's call them - stuff like Hendrix' "All Along The Watchtower" which is a Dylan cover, or Mannfred Mann's "Blinded By The Light," which is a Springsteen cover.

Can't there be some way to a) force identification of the actual artist on a track and b) ensure that identification is accurate?  If nothing else, a little "verified" badge similar to that in use on Twitter and other social networks to validate high-profile accounts would be of enormous help.  I don't want to hear "Day After Day" in the style of Badfinger.  I want to hear Pete Ham singing and playing a slide guitar duet with George Harrison, or frankly I don't want to hear it.

I think a lot of high-volume cover-song outfits are getting a pretty significant and entirely artificial boost in their listening numbers through this problem, and I really hope a meaningful solution can be found.  Thanks.

cerimorriss

OP date 12-10-2012

Last comment 8 hours ago, 16-12-2013.

I would be fascinated to see Spotify's stats on how many times these tracks were actually played (or at least played through).

Perhaps then I could be convinced that there's a huge demand for them and put up with it, I suspect however it's a misguided means of plugging gaps.

Maybe Spotify has grown from a nimble, idealistic start-up to the point where the company is a corporate graveyard, run on meaningless internal metrics and someone somewhere is getting high-fived for all this chaff. 'We have every song recorded in the last twenty years in our catalgoue'*

It frustrating and really impacts the user experience. We know Spotify knows the difference between Jimi Hendrix covering Bob Dylan's 'All Along the Watch Tower' and This is Popstarz 'tributes'.

I'll pay another tenner a month, just get rid of it.

Hey there.

I'm really happy that Spotify users discuss about it. Very good contribution here folks!

I hope that Spotify will implement this idea soon 🙂

Keep voting for it!