Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Show original year of album release

I'd like to be able to see the date an album was originally released, even if the current version is a re-release. So many albums are re-released that for some artists it looks like all of their albums came out in the last few years, even though some of them may actually be a decade old or older.

When this happens, I wind up just having to go to Wikipedia or Allmusic to find out the real info. But why drive me away from the Spotify experience?

We're excited to announce that we've managed to implement this idea. Recently, our content team has made some improvements to the way we validate and interpret content from rights holders. We've updated nearly 50,000 albums already! You may notice some remaining content not showing accurate original release year and we're working on improving this content in the coming months. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the music.
Comments
Trogonoptera

Great that this is being fixed but the fact that I came here to make the same suggestion and was surprised to find it was already being dealt with shows just how far there is to go. Very much looking forward to accurate initial album release dates! 

Wombatjpw
Something that would also be good would be high-res album cover images.
Sennheiser
  • "We're excited to announce that we've managed to implement this idea. Recently, our content team has made some improvements to the way we validate and interpret content from rights holders. We've updated nearly 50,000 albums already! You may notice some remaining content not showing accurate original release year and we're working on improving this content in the coming months. Thanks for the feedback and enjoy the music."

Could someone put a screen with a new presentation? because I can't find anything in the new format in the library

underthewhip

Has this feature been removed? I still see the wrong release year on albums. When I scroll through a discography I want to see them in release order. Especially if I don't know the artist since before it often fools me with the release order and it may look like the artist has released albums recently when in fact it was a decade ago.

Example: This album was released in 2006 but it's listed as 2013:

underthewhip_0-1583999694698.png

VictoriaStlm

Still not showing up so much for me, but I listen to a lot of obscure original psych and krautrock. Organized by original release, and sub ordered by remaster date so that the original and remasters appear together with both dates shown to give the user the best education of the artist and the ability to easily choose which version they would prefer. Remasters vary so dramatically due to date because of technology or trends of mixing style so those dates as a sub order to original release date would be optimal for geeks like me. 

tsimtsum

I hate this with Spotify (and Apple music). They don't care. The only important thing for them is the money. 

I'm listening to an album originally released back in 1983. According to Spotify (and Apple music) it was released in 2006. It sucks.

VictoriaStlm
Haha I’m was surprised to see this in my gmail inbox and felt pleasant
validation. Hahah
What music are you mostly into?
In case it masks my email addy, it’**bleep**

Thanks for the message.

V

slidviscous

Still not implemented 8 years later.

Sup23

Good work everyone. Always felt this was more important info than when the latest remaster was.

JasonJensen
If only Spotify decision makers were active Listeners, like us. Clearly
the people getting paid the most by this company don't know or care what
Music Discovery means. Meanwhile the people who reply here are
self-admittedly under-staffed and don't have the ability to affect
anything. Because the money machine doesn't care. Meet the New Music
Industry...

I am trying to make a huge list of early 60's pre-cursors to genre leaders
most people know, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and The Stooges (Hard Rock,
Metal and Punk), and Spotify leaves me with no way to get that sorted by
Year. I have to go look up every single Album/Song elsewhere and then
Manually maintain the sort order for each song.

Furthermore (off topic), the Artist Info is usually blank and when there is
some info, it's absurdly basic. Why not just give us a link to somewhere
that DOES bother with this effort so we can Discover more about the Artists?

There are a ton of Australian artists from the 60's featured on Garage Band
compilations, which Spotify still doesn't carry and likely won't bother,
because their reply is that it's up to the Artist... who is likely dead.

Truth is, it's up to their Profit Making and nothing else. Period. It's
less a Music Discovery service for us than it is a Money Machine for them.
It would be ideal to have a tiny bit more balance than just greed as the
guiding factor for their resources. This issue doesn't cost them enough,
so they won't bother. LOVE to see them prove me wrong, but not holding my
breath...especially since it's been YEARS for this same topic and nothing
has changed.