Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Shuffle should not repeat a song until X% of the the rest of the playlist has been played

My starred playlist is 250+ tracks, yet when I shuffle play I hear some song all of the time and others never. Spotify should keep track of the play history across sessions. Once a song has been played, it won'tbe put back into the sample pool until half (or some other percentage) of the other songs are played.

Example: Playlist X has 100 songs. When on shuffle, as soon as song Y is played it is put "on hold" and won't be considered for play until at least 50 other songs have been played.

I get sick of hearing the same songs over and over and this is easily a fixable problem. I would also hope that this is a duplicate suggestion, but I didn't see anything.

Bart

Updated: 2016-03-29

Hey everyone! Recently we updated this idea: "Implement an actual shuffle function"

With this new algorithm you should see songs played in shuffle move to the bottom of the play queue between sessions. We'd like to collect feedback on this algorithm so if you have any comments please post them here. Thanks for your feedback everyone!

Comments
Mi7chka

Here's a twist -- Spotify has to pay a certain price for each song it plays and without the user knowledge -- there is nothing online published about it's licenses and how they have to pay. (If therer is, please post it - I would love to read about it). So that being said, they "Shuffle" your playlist and play repeat songs so that they can get away from paying an extra fee. If they do this successfully for a bunch of suckers who use their service, why would they even care for people who appreciate each and every song offered on a playlist?

Point B -- enabling shuffle isn't the only way they sneak their shuffle tactic to users to get away from paying fees, they are being super sneaky by "Shufflling" when the function is NOT even enabled on a playlist. Like I was darn annoyed from hearing all the same songs when shuffle was enabled so I turned off that function so that the playlist would play in order down.... BUT I've noticed it started playing repeat popular songs from the list even though I was not even complete with the list. What B***S***. Like Seriously man? Why on Earth would I want to hear 'Is This Love - Bob Marley' every 9 songs in a list of 150+?

TIL - There is no way to contact support or dev's directly to explain my fustration with such a dumb feature, so I am stuck to picking songs I want to hear individually.

Spotify - It's your turn to listen to the community. Implement the iTunes shuffle function. PLEASE!

duffman010

Yes Please fix this.  I have a playlist with 2000+ songs and it always plays the same songs. There was one instence where I heard the Honukka song by adam sandler 3 times in one hour (it even had it in the queue). I went throught the playlist and there are no to few doubles. One time I heard the exact same hours worth of songs twice in a row.  If I wanted to hear the same songs I would listen to the radio :-). 

I have an android (galaxy S3, but upgraded to an LG G3 a few months ago. Same problems accross both phones), I haven't experienced this problem as much on my lap top, but I don't use it as often. I mainly use spotify offline, when I'm driving/biking.

Here's a thought, why not mack the shuffle options customizable in the settings. Meaning every user (maybe premium only) can customize their own settings. Like what genre to play most, second most. BPM in a song they want to hear more, how many/often songs repeat, if the shuffle plays more of the songs the user selects, or plays more "B Sides", etc.

I do realize that would be a lot more difficult to accomplish but as everyones tastes are different, and their tastes can also depend on their mood. This would probably be the best way to satify everyone. May cost more to program it but you would save on headache meds.

Videonisse

This BUG is really annoying, please fix.

matteid

when I hit shuffle on my starred (1,500+), it's been starting to repeat after 7-10 songs, that should not be!!!

Tarlak

I've nothing to add except that it is embarrassing that you still can't have a large playlist without hearing duplicates. There should absolutely be a button that says "Play entire playlist before any duplicates" or something of the sort. I listen to a single large playlist all day with Premium and it is unacceptable that there are certain songs I haven't heard in a month and others that play 3x a day. Anyway, really the only reason I'm posting here is to keep this thing going.

Michowski

I sent them another message through twitter hoping they see it. This is really the only flaw in the app and if they would fix it then I dare to say this is the best way to create playlists and stream music.

captglasspac

@Mi7chka Here is spotify's pay system explained. http://www.spotifyartists.com/spotify-explained/

They pay out 70% of their total revenue to the rights holders of the songs (not necessarily the artists) each month. So it doesn't matter to them which songs get played. One song is no more expensive than any other song. 

I don't think anything sinister is going on. I just think they need to improve the algorithim. 

Michowski

What they need to do is add an algorithim button and make the shuffle button an actual 100% random shuffle. Algorithim isn't shuffle, it's a premeditated selection. It's really not that hard to figure out.

fredphoesh

God yes!

My main playlist has 300+ songs, and when I play that playlist, there is no way to pick up where I left off last time, or to make sure that I hear ALL the songs on the playlist before hearing one of the songs again. Very annoying really. Randomize is useless for this.

knarkn

With shuffle i hear every time the same songs. Not all my songs in the playlist are used. Please change it!