Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Block Followers

I believe there should be a way to block people that are following you on Spotify. When blocked, the user will automatically unfollow you and will not be able to find you, or view your public playlists.

Blocking should be possible via both username and email address.

Liam

Updated on 2021-11-16

Hi everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Ideas Exchange, and sharing your votes and comments.

We’re pleased to confirm that all users now have the option to block another user on Spotify. With this update, you can actively block another user across desktop and mobile devices, preventing them from being able to see listening activity, public playlists, or view profile pages.

Here’s how it works:

• When visiting another user’s profile, click on the   (...) button.
  • Select “Block” (or “Block User” on mobile) to block the user whose profile you are viewing.
  • This user will now be blocked and cannot access your page, public playlists or view your listening activity.
  • To unblock a user, click the Unblock option in the same menu.

We're always working hard to provide the best possible Spotify experience in a safe environment.

Please see here for more information.

Comments
zigmas

Waaaaaaaay too many years.

cado_o

This is so crazy, a basic functionality that every social media has, in order to protect the user. I’d say Spotify clearly doesn’t care about its users though, it’s **bleep**ed up that this has been a complaint for almost a decade. 

ellbearxo

pleaseee bro spotify i been needing this!!

sandraxmai

4 months until this post turns 9 yrs old 

dizzytea

Why is this still "under consideration"? People want control over who gets to follow their accounts, why is this so hard to accommodate? 

primusd

I am completely and utterly astonished. How is it remotely possible in 2021 that there is no feature to block individual users from following your profile?? This is a hyper irresponsible deployment of social sharing features and must be changed.

That Spotify continues to ignore the 1000s of users here requesting, to say nothing of the untold users who don't even know its an issues, is equally - if not more astonishing.

What's it going to take Spotify - some large, coordinated social media campaign to draw attention to your irresponsible social sharing functionality, or worse, some tragic story of a stalker who figured out where to find their victim based on their listening profile?

If anyone here has political connections - this is absolutely something to start getting on the radar. Unfortunately Spotify has left us users little other choice...

SickOfNoPrivacConcer

I feel this fits here, this is my suggestion for a similar thing, actually hiding your followers/following.

>>>  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/Hiding-my-followers/idi-p/5292277#M145887   <<<

This is the suggestion:

Hiding my followers

Abiltity to hide your followers and who you are following. An on/off toggle.

There's many people, like me, who wants to be able to share their spotify playlists(or use the listen together feature) with our online friends, and we just cant do that because we would doxx ourselves..

I know this has been suggested multiple times over the years, and you keep dismissing it.

You probably used more time and money to dismiss this, than it would take to implement this. Privacy is important. This should be a no-brainer.

After using spotify for 10 years, and never looking back, i'm starting to think i have to move on tosomeone who takes privacy seriously.."

Dell_Ray

Has there been any progress in the subject of a way to remove followers? I know how to unfollow users that I'm following but I want to get someone removed from the list of users that follow me. 

Baumilito

Well, looks like it only took 9 years....:-)

https://www.engadget.com/spotify-block-user-140005922.html

surrealdelirium

Wow! Finally! Thanks for letting us know, Baumilito. Haven't had any notification from Spotify yet that this is possible, but I can confirm it worked for me! (I updated the app first.)

So much time waiting for what was eventually kind of anticlimactic, because it's such an ordinary setting everywhere else, but still, so glad it finally happened.