Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Social] Real Time "Listen with Friend(s)"

There ought to be a feature where I can click on a friend and listen in real time to whatever they're listening to, not just their playlist. If they change songs, my Spotify changes with them. 

With this feature, a person could remotely DJ if they wanted, or you could just know that you and a friend are hearing the same thing at the same time. 

Updated on 2020-08-04

Hi everyone!

We're happy to announce that this feature has now been implemented.

You now have the option to join a remote Group Session with all your friends and enjoy the same tracks simultaneously no matter how many miles apart you might be.

For more information be sure to check out our Newsroom article and our Support site page

Comments
brianelete

Sorry if this is commented by someone else already here but have you seen that they made the system and tested it in the summer? Here is the tweet: https://twitter.com/wongmjane/status/1134390000672419840?s=19

If you would loke to see this feature out, let Spotify know! (disclaimer: I'm not working at Spotify, just passionate about this feature (I even got contacted by someone from the Spotify dev team back in the days to be part of a team that develops this feature but did not had the skills to do it, or at least this is what the person told me, I hope it was not a scam haha))

mariposa_negra

Could it be that the feature was put on hold for security reasons? I can imagine some hijacking for spam for example. Would an additional step to accept the friend or a login whitelist do the trick?

brianelete

This idea is from 2012, surely they could come up with a solution for spam / any other harmful behavior since then. Not mentioning that it seems everybody else figured it out, I mean we have a ton of 3rd party solutions. Sorry I'm not trying to sound disrespectful of anything but as I can see this would be a great feature that clearly interests Spotify itself as well, it just seem to being postponed indefinitely for some reason, which makes me sad.

rumyo103

It would be so awesome to be able to listen as a group and use everyone's phone as an adhoc speaker system. 

thenoahbessler

I especially would like this for when me and my family are hanging out and we wanna listen to music in 2 rooms at the same time but we want the music to match. We could use 2 accounts connected to different Bluetooth speakers synchronized so they're always playing the same thing. Even if one has to be the master and the other the slave device just along for the ride.

antonyjackson86

I would absolutely love this feature! To be able to listen to music with my significant other, at the same time, even when the songs skips in our collaborative playlist we share. It's not possible to see what others are listening to on the mobile and in order to me to see what others are listening to I have to use the desktop app, and we have to click on the play button on the friends tab in order to listen, but it doesn't then skip to the next song that they're listening to, so you have to click the play button again. it's a rather laborious task.

lollilol01

Unofficial workaround: Its already available in Discord. The listener just needs premium.

I hope this will be integrated officially soon.

antonyjackson86
That's the problem, you have to download another app in order for this
function to work 🤦‍♂️
lollilol01

yea i know its bs but if you really want to, its possible. Im using discord on a daily basis so its no problem for me

antonyjackson86
I will give it a try, thank you🙂