Spotify needs to support Android 3 (Honeycomb), Android 4 (Ice Cream Sandwich / ICS)

The limited number of supported Android handsets shown on the Spotify web pages is disappointing.

In addition, claiming to not support newer versions of Android, while still allowing it to show in the market is weak.

Many phones and tablets will be upgraded to Android 4 / ICS in the coming few months and your user base, many of which will be unable to stably use the mobile client, will be quick to complain and may start moving on.

This is copy of many previous threads over at GetSatisfaction, including this one here: https://getsatisfaction.com/spotify/topics/when_will_spotify_be_ready_for_android_ics

As many of you know, we released the new version of Spotify for Android to the Google Play Store yesterday complete with the following features:  

• Top-to-bottom redesign
  • Support for Android 4.0
  • High Resolution Artist Images
  • 320kbps listening 
  • Crossfade
  • Gapless playback
  • Last.fm scrobbling
  • Playlist folders
  • Play queue 
  • Home Screen Widget

I'm apprehensive to change this status to "implemented" seeing as it's technically the home for two ideas:

1. Support for ICS devices
  2. Support for Honeycomb devices

Since Spotify works quite well on ICS devices, it should also work nicely on an Android tablet. However, claiming we now support tablets would be akin to saying we supported the iPad because the old iOS app worked on iPads. Its only fair to distinguish the two.

Given the recent launch of the new version of the Android app in Google Play, I'm electing to go ahead and update the status of this idea to "implemented". My recommendation would be for Honeycomb enthusiasts to add their vote to a new idea thread so we can collect votes, a.k.a. "Kudos" there. While you don't necessarily need to add your vote to this idea, I have found a preexisting one around this here:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Dedicated-Android-Tablet-Support-Honeycomb/idi-p/26945