Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Support Google Cast for Audio

Google announced Google cast for audio today. Any chance we'll see this api adopted so that speakers using this can play from Spotify? 

"today, we're announcing Google Cast for audio, which embeds the same technology behind Chromecast into speakers, sound bars, and A/V receivers. Just like Chromecast, simply tap the cast button in your favorite music or radio app on Android, iOS, or the web, and select a Google Cast Ready speaker to get the party started.

Google Cast Ready speakers pull content directly from the cloud, so you’ll get the best audio quality and can freely multi-task on your phone, tablet, or laptop, all without straining the battery. These speakers will work with a growing list of apps including Deezer, Google Play Music, iHeartRadio, NPR One, Pandora, Rdio, TuneIn, and many more."

http://chrome.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/introducing-google-cast-for-audio.html?m=1

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce Spotify on Chromecast and Chromecast Audio. Spotify and Chromecast Now Play Together.

While you cast, you can use your phone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what’s playing on the speakers or draining your battery.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Comments
zevans

If you read the press release it is only for Mobile. Chromecast + Chromecastr Audio only work through the Desktop app if you connect through the mobile App first. You can't stream direct to a chromecast direct from the desktop app.

murenrb

I get what you are saying, but let me walk you thought a hypothetical. I tell the Chromecast Audio to start playing from my phone. Via spotify mobile I can see the chromecast and play to it. Once I have done this, Chromecast shows up on my desktop app and I can control it from there also. I can change the song, blah blah. If I pause the music I can start it again from the desktop. IE, the desktop app is in total control. 

Then I turn off the music and wait 20minutes. Now the desktop app will be totally incapable of seeing the Chromecast. This is only a spotify issues, the Chromecast can accept all kinds of other casts from my desktop. 

So while I apperciate you pointing out the verbaige in the press release, what I am saying is it can't be that hard to fix this and make the Chromecast visible from the desktop app without first starting it on the phone. But like I said above, since the developers have not done this it must not be a priority. So I will just carry on without it. 

zevans

That's a very long winded way of saying it isn't avaliable yet directly on desktop... 😛

Just joined (only paid 99c for 3 months) and will be leaving once my 3 months is up. The very idea that I can't just tap an icon to connect to my android TV is ridiculous.
iPhone user.
Maino

Dear Spotify Team,

Could you confirm if the chromecast feature is supported under Android 6.0 and Blackberry Priv Device?

Thanks

Jose Maria

100luz

5 days ago Audio Cast integration was discontinued, songs no longer play (they randomly pause after 10 seconds) sometimes they resume, sometimes they do not.

Are there any plans to support Google Audio Cast back?

d_le_nen

I'd consider proper Chromecast control via desktop app as a  basic funcionality, not just more bells and whistles.

So if I could, I'd suggest to the devs to reconsider their prioritization.

Especially in the light of the fact, that this is missing for 2 years or so now.

ProxxiM

Still no full support for Chromecast. To Spotify: this is really, really bad.

When we're working on our computers, we have to pick up our phones, open up Spotify, start a song, connect to Chromecast and only THEN we can control the music from our computer? That's whack.

Emagnuson1

This work awesome except for the fact that when I cast to my Google speakers and my Sony WiFi receiver the sub doesn't get used.   This may be a Google casting issue because when i switch to only using that Sony receiver it says Spotify instead of casting and the sub works.   Needs to get fixed though.   The sub completes the whole house sound I am after.