Use Spotify PC app to control another Spotify device

I have an old laptop hooked up to my stereo for playing Spotify (typically with the screen closed) and I've been using a third party app called Spotimote to control it.

Now there's Spotify Connect which is great but it's missing one thing: if I'm using my regular PC I'd like to be able to control the music PC through the regular Spotify app instead of having to pick up my phone and fiddle with the Android version of spotify.

So my request is: make the PC app a controller as well - as far as I can see there's no way to do that right now.

Bonus:

If that was done I'd be able to use an old phone instead of a laptop as the music playing device that I have hooked up to my stereo (or maybe some day a Chromecast or Android TV if you ported the Android app to those)

EDIT: michel123 points out that this idea is already implemented in the beta. Nice!

Latest beta is at http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Desktop-Linux-Mac-and/Welcome-to-the-Desktop-Beta/td-p/932803

Updated: 2015-12-20

Hello everyone,

Spotify Connect on the desktop version should now be available.
You can control your other devices from the Desktop:

connect.jpg

Enjoy this (Premium) feature and thanks for bringing your feedback to the ideas exchange! ;)

Related Ideas

Comments
michel123
Gig Goer

Hi Agraham,

I think this is already possible with the Spotify Desktop Beta app. In this version you can see a Spotify Connect devicelist, just like on your mobile. You can control any mobile device with it (I use an Android Mini PC, no need for a ported app or something, just the normal Android Spotify App), and it works great. There's no volume control for now though.

I haven't tested it, but I think it will also work from PC to PC. You can try..

Rock Star 21
Rock Star 21
Status changed to: Implemented

Marked as new idea, as it has not rolled out to the majority of Spotify desktop users.

namniart

I haven't been able to find this in the Linux Preview version of Spotify; can anyone confirm or deny if it's present?

For reference, I'm using spotify-client version 1:0.9.11.27.g2b1a638.81-1 on Ubuntu 12.04.

lgommers

Just installed the beta, just what I was looking for! In some cases it is easier to discover music on a laptop (sites, wikipedia etc in separate tabs easier access) and I always want to listen to it on a stereo,

thank you! 

RobinAnton
Casual Listener

I'm confused, installed the beta and want to control my Yamaha (spotify connect) receiver via my laptop. I cannot find the button to activate spotify connect, how to do this? Where is the 'connect' button?

Thanks,

Robin

namniart

In the current beta version (as of Dec 17, 2014), the volume control has moved to the lower-right corner of the screen. Clicking the small speaker icon next to it brings up the Spotify Connect menu. (This works with my Yamaha receiver).

oilchange

Spotify Connect menu does not open when Clicking the small speaker icon. Nothing happens neither in Firefox or IE.

northforkinv
Regular

works great here with the beta version.  I installed it several weeks ago but it took me all that time to figure out the little volume control button on the right next to the volume slide; wasnt a volume control at all and was just like the connect button on my droid devices and used that from my lap or desktop.  

thanks naminart!  missed your comment a vew weeks ago. gave you a kudo.

Rock Star 28
Rock Star 28
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated: 2015-12-20

Hello everyone,

Spotify Connect on the desktop version should now be available.
You can control your other devices from the Desktop:

connect.jpg

Enjoy this (Premium) feature and thanks for bringing your feedback to the ideas exchange! ;)

meinMeister91

This feature was accessable for me for a long time. But it disappeared 3 months ago (or so). 

I have got a Premium account and I am using Linux as my OS. 

This feature was very well implemented but I can't use it anymore. 

Only controlling my PC Client via Spotify App works now. Not the other way round or PC to PC (what was more usefull)

Is this a known issue, or is it a layer 8 failure ? ;) 

thanks