Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Wear OS] Offline Music on Wear OS devices

Please add offline music support to the wearable without need to be connected to the main phone /tablet.

Eg Bluetooth headphones connected to my smartwatch listening to music while I'm running.

This is now supported by the watch OS http://officialandroid.blogspot.co.uk/2014/10/jogging-and-jamming-with-android-wear.html?m=1

Updated on 2021-09-07

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all the support you’ve shown in this idea and for the feedback since the roll-out began.

We’ve thoroughly relayed and discussed it with the Wear OS team and wanted to make a quick update on things you can expect to see first.

Regarding shuffle options, we’re happy to say that this feature is ready and will be gradually rolled out.

Separately, we can also confirm that the app keeps some info stored in order to reduce data usage. This includes previously played and downloaded content, which gets cleared when it hasn’t been played for a while. To offer the same amount of control as on the mobile app we’ll provide an option to manually clear the cache from the Settings menu.

Finally, we hear you on the point that the Spotify interface on your wrist should have the same Your Library as on other devices and have the same playlists available. If you don't see it already, you will soon.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts as we develop the Wear OS experience. We’ll keep you posted on any new updates, as soon as there are any.

Take care! 

Comments
EpsilonIX

Not committing to wearOS by 2020 is weak and makes pathetic to be a Spotify user

lexy

Almost 2 years since this feature was requested and still no way to play Spotify on Wear OS without your phone. The sad thing is, this feature is supported on other smartwatch OS platforms. Way to listen to your customers Spotify.

Olz
More like 7...
catlatl

I agree, the Spotify app available to all but a few wearables is incredibly behind the hardware capabilities of those wearables. I just got a Fossil Gen 5, was all excited about the internal memory of 8 GB and just assumed that the Spotify app in the WearOS store would have the basic functionality of the mobile, web, and desktop app, instead of being a remote control. I probably will send the watch back unless the modified app mentioned above works well. I love everything else about Spotify. Why did they whiff on this incredibly important market?

e-n6zbi_errd

Still nothing after a few years.. it is irritating because you have to reconsider which smartwatch you are buying because of Spotify (being able to offline download). I really need this when running, and its the main reason for me to buy a smart watch..

I was looking to buy a fossil gen 5.. but i will wait knowing this issue..

lexy

Same bought the Fossil Gen 5 a couple of weeks ago. Love the watch, but Spotify support is lacking. I won't send the watch back but I am looking at Google play music for offline playback. I'll just upload my music that I own to the platform. Also heard they just merged Play Music with YouTube Music. Who knows I just might jump ship if I like the service.

nknowles15

Are we talking months or years before offline listening is available on Wear OS?

iniemamocny

We are talking probably never.

Wormshade

Six years to confirm a feature which is available with a mod online... wow.

with all due respect, dear Spotify, if by the next update from wear os to underlying Android 11, your app does not support offline mode, I will cancel my subscription; obviously that is the only message you will understand. 

mseiter

Don't take it too hard.

They even haven't released offline playback / streaming for the Apple Watch yet.
We are frustrated there as well. Seems to be a general Problem at Spotify.