Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Add & Remove Content separately (Artist, Album, Songs)

I am really enjoying the new update that I received earlier today that adds the "Your Music" area to Spotify, but I would like to throw out some ideas to help make the feature more enjoyable.

While using the new + feature to add songs to the songs list in the "Your Music" area I noticed that it also adds the artist and the album to their respected areas. You should be able to remove an album and/or artist from their list without it removing that specific song from it's list. This feature should be implemented for the song, artist, and album section.

Example:

If I click the new + symbol on the song: "Bun B - Get Throwed", it will add it to the song, artist, and album list in the new "Your Music" section.

If I remove that song from the "song" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song from the artist and album list as well.
If I remove that album from the "album" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and artist list as well.

If I remove that artist from the "artist" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and album list as well.

I should be able to edit and arrange these individual list to my liking. If I want a "Bun B" track in my song list, but not in my album and artist list I should have the ability to do so.

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

The recent update to Spotify has changed the way liking things works that now reflect this idea.

Liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile and find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap.

If you'd like to know more about the changes to the app, you can check out the article here.

Thanks 💚

Comments
drmrmeister

yes, @zbigb, you can sort the playlist 'liked songs' by artist, but it's much more difficult to use that way as you have to scroll through thousands of songs instead of dozens of artists.

Sure, you can go to a specific artist's page, but that's not really a discovery mechanism. That works when you know exactly what you want to listen to and are looking for a specific song or artist. I don't always listen to music that way.

camillo75

@Anthrophobic wrote:

I am really enjoying the new update that I received earlier today that adds the "Your Music" area to Spotify, but I would like to throw out some ideas to help make the feature more enjoyable.

While using the new + feature to add songs to the songs list in the "Your Music" area I noticed that it also adds the artist and the album to their respected areas. You should be able to remove an album and/or artist from their list without it removing that specific song from it's list. This feature should be implemented for the song, artist, and album section.

Example:

If I click the new + symbol on the song: "Bun B - Get Throwed", it will add it to the song, artist, and album list in the new "Your Music" section.

If I remove that song from the "song" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song from the artist and album list as well.
If I remove that album from the "album" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and artist list as well.

If I remove that artist from the "artist" list in the "Your Music" area it will remove the song and album list as well.

I should be able to edit and arrange these individual list to my liking. If I want a "Bun B" track in my song list, but not in my album and artist list I should have the ability to do so.

I just think that they should make this via filtering or new tabs.

If I save an album I don't want to find it in the songs.

If I follow an artist I want to see all the artists that I follow.

Many more views could be created and/or filter options.

superpanic

@drmrmeister

thank you for explaining, that makes sense. i did not know people used it that way.

for me having these separated is perfect and "feels right" though.

but i understand your frustration.. :^(

DenalB

I understand your frustration too @drmrmeister .

@superpanic wrote:

for me having these separated is perfect and "feels right" though.

This behaviour is the same like it is in Deezer and I love it. Tidal has that behaviour too.

For me this is the reason that I'm able to switch from Deezer to Spotify now because of the 2.000 loved tracks limit Deezer has.

TomLegend
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2019-06-25

Hey folks, 

Thanks for adding your vote to this idea. 

The recent update to Spotify has changed the way liking things works that now reflect this idea.

Liking an album or song won’t automatically follow the artist, but you can follow them from their artist profile and find Recommended artists to follow in Your Library where you can follow them with one tap.

If you'd like to know more about the changes to the app, you can check out the article here.

Thanks 💚

gdfg

If I like an album, i typically will remember it by artist name, and I want to find the artist in my library, while i don't care about the album, I will rather want to be reminded that the artist has other stuff worth listening to. Disagree from my side.

salmonchainsaw

@drmrmeister "You can still use the search function to find a specific artist, but many people use the system to scroll through the artists they have saved songs from, clicking whichever they want to hear. That functionality is now disabled and the only way to return the previous functionality is to follow every artist from whom you have saved a song. "

You can still scroll through. The artists that you've liked are at the top of the list. Then it goes to recommended artists and that has all the artists whose songs you've previously liked but are not following. It's essentially the same list of artists as before but now the ones you've actively liked are brought to the top of the list. Which is smart functionality.

salmonchainsaw

I joined Spotify Preem in 2015 and this was by far my biggest issue with the app. Now after 4 years of lobbying they heard the good people in this community and implemented the change. I couldnt be happier.

In December I went to a Haerts show (great band check them out). After the show I was having a few beers with the opening act, this  and his brother, who worked for Spotify in NYC. I told him I loved the app but brought up this issue. I pulled out my phone and showed him how adding an album adds all the songs to the liked songs playlist and how that was **bleep** backwards and ruined the mixtape feel of that playlist. He agreed and we drank our beers...

...6 months later the problem is fixed. Just saying..........

drmrmeister

@salmonchainsawthat might be the case if the artists continued to be presented in alphabetical order, but they aren't, even when you organize liked artists that way.

They could easily have fixed the liked songs issue without the rest, and yeah, it makes more sense to me for 'liked songs' to be just the songs you have liked. I don't use that as a mixtape personally because it has about 6,000 songs in it for me, but I get it if you do.

Suffice it to say I'll try to use the new UI but I'm actively considering moving to different services, something I have never considered since using Spotify.

salmonchainsaw
I hear you. If it upset my previous way of using the app I would be unhappy as well. There should be an easy way to organize those artists in alphabetical order. Hopefully (and maybe with some suggestions from users) they will add that function into the app. It makes complete sense.