Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Apple Watch: Spotify Streaming and Offline Listening

Apple Watch: Offline Listening

watchOS 5 should allow Spotify to develop an app that allows offline listening and streaming via cellular data.

Vote here to show your support for this development!

Updated on 2021-07-20

Hey everyone,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

Тhis has been one of our most upvoted ideas and we've known it's something that our users would really like to see come true. 
We're happy to announce that this feature will now become available for the Apple Watch Series 3 or later.

It will be gradually rolled out, so it might take a bit until everybody has access to it.  That being said, we'd like to let you know that the roll-out rate has increased a lot in the last weeks, so if you haven't received the feature in the past, try reinstalling the app on your watch again and there's a big chance you'll get Offline listening now.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better and voting to make this happen, here on the Community.

Comments
patrickbisi

Do the developers even look into the forum? It seems to be a claim from the premium users, who PAY for the app, to have a nice new feature that enable us to listen/sync music to the Apple Watch. And this request seems to be old, from 2014, 2015. So, you're really forcing us to move to Apple Music. The main reason I bought the watch was to have the option to run only with it, without my phone. If you don't listen to the market, you'll lose it. 

Akiainavas

Don't blame Spotify for this.

This is/was Apple's fault. Basically, previous versions of watchOS did not allow background music/syncing for any application other than Apple's own.

It's a very concerning practice, monopolistic even. But fortunately now Apple included those APIs in watchOS5 which means Spotify and other services will finally be able to actually do it.

Henius

I am using Watchify and that works well with Spotify and getting music via iWatch 3.

Simbo1970

Not without your phone you’re not. This very long thread is about Spotify on the cellular watch without a phone present

This is annoying af but I doubut it's Spotify's fault. There used to be an app called watchify that at least let you stream from phone to watch but that's been taken down. I can't imagine why spotify wouldn't release an apple watch app if it could. I believe we're running into the wall of the walled garden with Apple pushing people into its own inferior service.  

Makdizzl3

Even in the terms and conditions for the developer terms there full of lies!! 

1. Our users are very important to us. Let’s work together to give them tools to access, discover, manage, and share music. While doing so, please respect their data and privacy settings.

Get on it Spotify or you’ll loose my family account to Apple Music real soon...

Phoviper

All I can do is link my speaker to my phone's bluetooth and let the "Now Playing" app on my series 3 do it's thing, it's a little unfortunate that I can't switch between playlists on my wrist, but I'll just deal with it, doesn't seem like a "Solution" will come anytime soon.

Phoviper

Can't seem to find the watchify app on my series 3, outdated or no longer available?

Jaebez

I’ve suspended using the Premium feature until I can use Spotify with my iWatch. I have gone over to the “dark side” of Apple Music.

Too bad it’s taken so long to get something in the works. Series 4 will come out soon. 

Sitnaing

Spotify has inked with Samsung for support.

Enough is enough. It is not healthy for me to wait a year till their feud are  fixed.

Time to close premium.