Announcements

[iOS][Your Library] Playlist folders

We should be able to put our playlists into folder because i have so many that i would t dream of getting rid of but i forget about them and can’t find them when i need them because they are all in one big list. I am asking for folders to customize our music libraries and make our experiences with the app a lot smoother. Thank you!!

Updated on 2020-04-27

Hey @Csmith8543 

Playlist folders are already available in Spotify. In the Desktop app, right click in the playlists area, and you'll find the option to create a playlist folder. Once created, you can drag and drop playlists to the folder for better management.

Hope it helps. 🙂

folders_twitter.png

Comments
mjgittinger

There's a newer-ish feature in Spotify to create folder for playlists and you can even have some levels of nesting those folders. I have a "genre" folder and I moved all my genre-specific playlists into that folder so they're easier to find; it's awesome! Did you try to open Spotify on a browser on your PC? I don't think you can setup the structure on the Spotify app but if you make the changes in a browser, then open your app, the changes will apply and you can access those folders.

slbrogan123

Yes! I would love playlist folders. Just like on email folders/notepad apps/files on a computer, you have a bunch of notes but folders to organize them. This would be so helpful, and I'd probably spend more time on the app creating playlists!

osornios
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2020-04-27

Hey @Csmith8543 

Playlist folders are already available in Spotify. In the Desktop app, right click in the playlists area, and you'll find the option to create a playlist folder. Once created, you can drag and drop playlists to the folder for better management.

Hope it helps. 🙂

folders_twitter.png

mochinichi

While playlists folders are, technically, implemented, they leave much to be desired. They are pretty much visible and usable only from the left sidebar, while "Your Library" remains a mess.

In the "Your Library" view, my playlists revert to huge tiles and are no longer in folders. To organise my playlists into folders in the first place, I was forced to work within the abysmally tiny left sidebar, scrolling while dragging like a barbarian, while the screen real estate taken up by the main pane showing "Your Library" was completely unusable.

What makes matters worse is that in "Your Library", there isn't a way to toggle between tile view and detail view. A detail/list view would be great not just for playlists but artists and albums as well, so that more detail can be shown about each item. For example, while sorting albums by "Recently added" does sort the items, it fails to provide any context like when exactly the albums were added, which is of interest. For playlists, the list view could have expandable toggles for folders, just like the current left sidebar, or similar to the Finder in MacOS.

Env: prod