Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
bpgjames

@msephton Which journalists have you contacted?

traynoronline

@msephton true but this thread has been around for a lot longer than the petition. At this point anything's worth a shot, right? It's clear they don't care about user security so we need to make our point shown somehow...

Hopefully contacting some journalists will prove to be useful - maybe some bad publicity is what they need to make them listen.

bpgjames

@traynoronline Maybe try and spread the word via Facebook and YouTube videos. As lots of Spotifys demographic will use those sites and listen to their favourite Social Media page.

Guut_Boy

IMO the speparate petition just removes focus from this issue, because some will link to this thread while others cite the petition. Also, I feel pretty certain people are more likely to upvote on idea on the Spotify community than sign a petition on some random external site. Anyway, do as you like. Spotify does not seem to be very concerned with security for their users, so either way it probably will not help much.

msephton

@bpgjames I've contacted Charles Arthur (freelance, The Guardian), John Gruber (Daring Fireball), Nick Spence (Mac World UK) and I'm still going

bpgjames

@msephton Try techcrunch, PC Mag etc...

Guut_Boy

Further indication that Spotify does not really care about this sort of thing: As one of few companies, they do not enforce any of the security measures around passwords recommended by Dashlane in their Password Power Rankings of 2017

msephton

No surprise.

Iconoclast0w

Congratulations, I imagine a lot of your subs are about stop subbing, as I am. Off to find another service that offers some security, since I've already had my account hijacked once.