Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
IrvHammer

I would love to have this option for 2FA  as I've just had to recover my account from being hacked. This was NOT a pleasent experience.

andrewpm

Please DO SOMETHING as opposed to nothing.  Spotify apparently doesn't take account security very seriously, especially when sensitive info such as credit card info is at risk.  Why not implement some kind of TXT MSG alerts anytime the email, password, phone number or device is altered?  That should be your standard or practice.  I'm seriously considering cancelling my account for lack of basic security notifications. 

curty409

As my own thread got marked as duplicate, I will add to this one.

I've recently just had my account hacked and had to spend 45 minutes of my day ensuring I get access back to my account.

As a premium subscriber, I expect that all of my account is as secure as possible and I don't feel that this is covered, not having a second security step.

Utilising Google's 2-Step Authentication could be a great way to combat this.

If this isn't possible, email notifications of when logged into a new device would be great too, ensuring hacks don't go un-noticed for too long.

All other large tech companies are using higher security procedures, with Spotify seeming to be stuck in the dark ages as far as security is confirmed.

azevedofs87

Please add two-factor auth!! It’s 2018 already and this is a must have.

cx

Maybe its time for Spotify to revise their decision around 2FA and get into the game.

I receive email once a week and earlier several times a day with people trying to take over my account (and succeeded!)

-dxvu_7o2b52

I have a 10 diget alpha-numeric password (numbers, letters and symbols) and still got hacked. I'm lucky the hacker didn't change my e-mail address or I never would have got the account back. Please add security questions for changing password and for changing e-mail address. It's currently way to easy to change those once someone is inside.

stephtal

Spotify urgently needs to implement 2FA. My account has been hacked twice in the last month, and there's nothing further I can do to prevent it from happening again. This is completely unacceptable for a service as mature as Spotify. 

If you care about your customer's data and privacy, it is imperative that you "move forward" with 2FA. 

jebrcidea

2 factor authentication is a MUST HAVE for today popular platforms that process payments. Because this feature is inexistent i got my account hijacked 3 days ago.

patrborg

This needs to be implemented asap. Apple music already has it as it's part of the apple ID. 

Get on it, spotify! 

Whiteice76

Signed up fur the 3 month trial for 99 cents yesterday, account was hacked today  

I asked the support folks at Spotify who helped me if they had 2 factor Auth and they pointed me here.

Why would you not allow this being over of the biggest music platforms?

Not a threat  but after experiencing this  if this isn't enabled by the time my trial is up, I will have to look elsewhere for my music needs  

Thank you.