Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
Temp_Jenn

This shouldn't have to be voted on; it should be part of your standard security protocols. Someone was able to log in to my account today and change the email address. Now I am not able to log in. Why didn't Spotify email me to ask if I was trying to change my email address? Everyone knows that there are premium account holders' information on a Pastebin thread, so why hasn't spotify addressed this? I had to create a new account just to post to this thread. Once my account is freed up, I will be cancelling it and will not renew until the security is improved.  

ChocoboSwarm

I have recently had my Spotfiy account hijacked by someone I do not know and who continues to keep trying to reset my password to get into my account. I've alread reset my password and everything and I had his first/last name and profile picture on my account but this person continues to try and get my info. I think 2 factor authentication would be very highly appreciated.

lastfmaniac

it has been two years since this idea was suggested and it was not implemented yet. I recently got my account hacked and luckly it wasn't the main account in the Spotify Family plan, but what if it had my credit card information? I don't want my personal information compromised. Please implement 2 factor authentication.

msephton

It's actially more like 4 years, because older requests for this feature (here's one from 2013) were closed in favour of this one.

aztrix

MFA (Multi-Factor Authentication) should be the de facto standard for any organisation that is serious about protecting their customer's data, no if, buts or whats!

bpgjames

Please get this Spotify!

Lars31

I would like to see Time based One Time Passwords with support for Google Authenticator, Authy and Last Pass Authenticator. It is a shame Spotify still does not have such a basic security feature.

wesmuis

Still nothing. 2FA isn't a neat little extra anymore. It's a necessity nowadays that everyone else has already implemented. I wouldn't mind not having it if it were a free only service, but I'm paying for a service (which partially has my payment details). A service which relies on a single password- for something I pay for.

And I can't keep supporting Spotify if it means risking my account every day. It's nice you guys think that it's "a good idea", but since that's a statement from over 2 years ago I see it more like a "shush guys we won't do anything but we don't want you to be mad".

CubicleDev

Got my account hijacked on Thursday, changed the password (which wasn't that easy to guess, being an IT professional myself...) and cleared sessions within a minute of some Spanish song interrupting my Stone Roses.

Here's my useless vote for OTP, Google Auth if you can support it.

If Twitter can implement it while bleeding money, I'm sure Spotify can. 🙂

muonthebarman

Agreed, until this is a thing i won't be resubscribing to Premium after losing control of my account on multiple occasions.