Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2017-10-23

Hi everyone, we wanted to give this idea an update for those that have voted recently. We're keeping the status as 'Not Right Now' as we don't have plans to allow users to change their username at this time. Of course we'll let you all know if this changes in the next year. 

Also, please remember you can find your friends by searching for either their Spotify username or their full name (if their Spotify account is linked to their Facebook). Thanks again for your continued feedback!

Tornevall

I think the questions is much more complex than people believe... Just the fact that sharing playlists based on usernames, instead of user ids at least tells me a whole lot of how Spotify have built those features.

mo666

honestly.. having a bunch of numbers for a username can get quite annoying.

maditodd7

Hello, so I see you may be having issuses trying to figure out the username issue with the numbers and the letters combo. I am here to tell you that although it shows this combo as a username it is not actualy your username, the username is what was filled in, an example would be your first and your last name. This is how people can find your account.

mcabby

it really makes me mad because i juust want to change it

There has to be a way to change your username without having to cancel your account and losing all your playlists, etc... PLEASE HELP!

ysd5k3ppob20j7z

Spotifys unwillingness to help their customers is the reason I quit using it many years ago.

Now I started up a new account and as user name I get a random string of letters instead of the name I chose.

The user name I chose shows up sometimes, but on most Spotify pages it shows this "random letters name" as my user name.

No way I´m paying for this!

Devildinho

I would love for the option to change my username! The Spotify I am currently using was an account I set up a long time ago and since I have opted in with Vodafone this is the name that my Spotify has been registered with. I feel this username is so old for me and would really like to change it. I find that in 2017 you should be able to change a username and that this option to not do it is very dated. Also, my Facebook Spotify account is set up with a different account for some reason which I can't think how it happened. 

Pukitaki

This is bull**bleep**. You have a field in signup that implies you're choosing a username, yet you still then assign some idiotic random string of characters and think that counts? Do you people even understand the point of having a username?! If you can log in by username or email address, you're going to pick what you remember. In this case, email, because these usernames you come up with are ridiculous. If you're looking someone up, are you going to use email or offsite information? When the alternative is some weird string of characters that don't make any sense, then yea, most likely. I think the only use the usernames you assign have are for the databases you store client information on, but even then I'm pretty sure the computers could just as easilly use the email.

ysd5k3ppob20j7z

@pukeintaxi In my case you are wrong. I entered a real name, but Spotify assigned me this combination of letters anyway. Why do you assume things you don´t have a clue about?