Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
vaisas

its incredible that you cant still change your username if you dontconnect with facebook. and dont give me **bleep** that its how it is in spotify because of playlists, you can easily let us change our display name while keeping our "original"code name intact for your servers. Sounds like you want us to connect with facebook instead of giving us something simple and practical, after all, we are paying (i pay premium), and still your app is not on par with FREE ones in the past like GROOVESHARK. incredible.

andrewhm29

C'mon. It really can't be that hard. Its something A LOT of people want.

Adagio

I honestly thought I left a field blank or something...

Or that it's only for the trial duration...

msbrg722

Spotify, I am really disappointed that this request has been open for five years and you've not made any forthright attempts to give your users what we want.  As developers you should really empathize with this request.  You have a bunch of consistent followers and early adopters who joined your site and have been loyal to your service for years.  Many of these people rooted for you, iteration after iteration, as you continue to perfect your product.  Imagine if you were stuck forever with the first version of Spotify?  Just as you've grown and changed, you should give your users the opportunity to do the same - without losing all of our valuable playlists in the process.  Many other platforms have figured this out.  This is low hanging fruit.  Not finding a solution to this issue, which impacts many of your loyalist supports, in five years feels like a failure of imagination at best, and willful ignorance at worst.  Please consider giving your people what we want.

msbrg722

Spotify, I am really disappointed that this request has been open for five years and you've not made any forthright attempts to give your users what we want.  As developers you should really empathize with this request.  You have a bunch of consistent followers and early adopters who joined your site and have been loyal to your service for years.  Many of these people rooted for you, iteration after iteration, and still root for you today as you continue to perfect your product.  Imagine if you were stuck forever with the first version of Spotify? 

This is about user experience, yes, but it's also about Spotify making the most of it's users.  Users with meaningless names find it hard to share content.  People who have built solid brands over the last few years may not be able to connect their followers to their Spotify accounts because their Spotify user name is off brand.  None of this is good for Spotify.

Just as you've grown and changed, you should give your users the opportunity to do the same - without losing all of our valuable playlists in the process.  Many other platforms have figured this out.  This is low hanging fruit.  Not finding a solution to this issue, which impacts many of your loyalist supporters, in five years feels like a failure of imagination at best, and willful ignorance at worst.  Please consider giving your people what we want.

mkaelabautista

its just frustrating you know. 

barbwhite23-us

how dumb that we cannot change our display names! isn't this 2019? we all don't want to be known as our birth names, and sometimes we need to change display names for safety reasons. get with the times, spotify!

martin_m

I would need this too please. 
Please go ahead and make usernma changeable because if you register a new account you will get a very strange username which is not able to remember.

Thanks

haku

two years later from the last update from spotify and the answer is still the same. I regret sooo much for subscribing through facebook, for now as I have abandoned my facebook account I'm stuck with a collection of random numbers and letters. It really sucks.

Ovenbird

It looks like celebrities and or major artitsts (Diplo as an example) can have "Verified User" Accounts in addition to "Verfied Artist" which enables them to have a custom user name.

Seems like there is a way for this to happen for key accounts.

I would guess one of the reasons this has not happened yet is that Spotify would need to employ a new team to manage conflicts. Imagine if they opened up changing user names tomorrow and I deceided to create Diplo123 or theRealTiesto. Seems like it would be hard to police.

I still think it is important to solve for the rest of us, even if it means having extra resources to deal with conflicts like these.