Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
renatinhoss

It is unacceptable that it is not possible to change your username, or have to associate it with Facebook, I have no interest in being part of this social network.

phoebephoenix

Yes this is a big issue. Almost all other media lets usernames be changed, so why should Spotify be different? I don't want my full name out as my username anymore, so please please implement this feature.

Alex_Fehely

Jᴀᴄᴋ

It is unlikely this feature will be allowed soon, its so hard for a company so big to allow, and could be abused so easily.

lucasmezs

Is just programming. Not hard.

bhuu

Reconsider this. 

Profile pages have undergone some updates over the past couple of months which really improve how users view each others public profiles. Many users on this platform have been stuck with a username which has been automatically generated aka random string of numbers, real names, or any name created a very young age which doesn't age well today.

It takes a lot of resources to manually transfer large playlists over to new accounts, also takes a very long time for the algorithm to learn your music taste. So much data is being lost, since users are leaving their accounts just to change their username. 

Who we are often changes, lets reflect our new identity with usernames which reflect us today.

jinpinguin

i really want to change my stupid username, but i dont want to create a new account bc ive got a lot of playlists.

milktoast70

Lo stesso problema che ho posto io, speriamo che il team di Spotify provveda in futuro

haku

It's so frustrating to know that they don't care about a feature A LOT of users are asking for. A simple feature. I know it might not be simple to change the database and how code works, but I really think they should have see this coming at the beginning of this whole company, as it is a primary BASIC feature that shouldn't be denied specially for premium users.

I still haven't moved to another music streaming service just because they have the biggest library and most of the music I like to listen to only they have it. For they are far behind in some features and update implementation.

I really hope they change their mind about this, for now I'm also unable to change my profile picture via desktop after the latest update. It looks like they are making some changes on profiles, but it seems that nothing is changing for the best.

jf38

It is too confusing to tell people apart with the computer generated ID.   Need to be able to tell friends apart especially if premium member.