Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
mCo0L

It really annoys that we cannot change it. I don't want to see a random number in my face every time I open the app.

I don't like this.

hierophant20xx

How is this not a feature in 2019?

mCo0L

I don't know if they don't want to do it or they don't have capable enough developers to do so.

JackH429
The same way we don’t have Live lyrics or any lyrics for that matter in
2019, the way we have no high fidelity option, and that we don’t have the
option of change the user photo or playlist photo on mobile.
TRobbs

However... in 2019... you have the option to vote with your dollar.  Cancel your Spotify subscription and find a better service.  Until more people do this, there is no motivation for streaming services, like Spotify, to change their approach to serving the customers.

kinathur323

This is such a basic feature, it's stupid that it's not available.
I made this account years ago at like, midnight, and I've been stuck with this darn typo ever since then because of my own stupidity and because spotify won't let me change my username. Pretty much every other service out there would let me, but it seems Spotify just doesn't want to help with user's ease of access.

mich_23

Is this STILL being ignored?

It wasn't even addressed in the monthly ideas review. It's the #1 most upvoted idea on the website (by far). What more do we have to do?

djdk

I wasn't expecting that my intention to treat my girlfriend with a Premium account would lead me to this very "Idea" page and considering to cancel my Premium subscription, but - here I am, among thousands other confused users.

I have been a very happy Spotify user and I have been telling so to all of my friends, but now I am just puzzled with this incomprehensible account/username/name phenomenon. On a bigger scale of things this is ultra-minor, but nevertheless - I still have my own username and name from long ago, and now I'm just anxiously waiting for the moment to "lose my identity" (and I don't even use it for "social networking").

Simple middle-ground solution(s):

• Why not simply assign a unique (random) username and let users change their display name, and then show the name in the app and emails?
  • Or, simply remove and hide both username and display name and use only email address instead?

But at the very least, please don't address us with a 25-character random strings to our faces.

Modern tool, scaled agile development, disruptive company, they say... but unable to implement a feature to change user names.

How I miss Grooveshark!!!

Moropheles

Dear Spotify Team,

instead of giving me News about music i probably won't hear or already know it is released.

Just let us change our Nicknames (and if it is only the one shown in playlists and for friends) so if we  just are bored of our old and we do not want to see it again, we can do something against it. This is now marked for 4 years as "Not right now". We are approaching 5 years at a high velocity. 5 years for a feature to let people change their nickname in any way even if it is marked with "not right now" is way too long if it is at least an major issue for 25k people to visit the forums to vote in a poll for it (this poll is way to hidden by the way).  This feature should be added to the list for one of the "soon updates".