Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
Nise

Finally this thread, found my way here.  So yea, Imo one year change in username could be made a thing.

But as what usually annoys me most: having those random letters as there in HTML code,when  I want to share mine playlist on Instagram for eg. 

Hope this could be brought on voting/discussion point. In spotify ab opinion think it would need some major change (read, a lot of work) in the sourcecode to favor users more, and perhaps it makes it less favorable for coders then.

asciiM0

Come on folks - hope never dies... Vote for it!

And also vote in this thread's partner-thread!

And tell all spotify users you know about these ideas and threads and that they should vote too.

spo

Now that Facebook is going downhill with all these lawsuits in EU court on data privacy, gathering and transfer to US servers, it is about time for Spotify to create their own tool for username and avatar management or they'll end up with no tool at all.

Over the years I've had plenty of Spotify friends whose pictures have vanished and their names turned into numbers so that eventually I forgot who they are. I show up the same to all of my friends. How does Spotify think that this is helping their business?

AlexandreCSS

It's just incredible that Spotify didn't change this yet... 

I find it somewhat rediculous you cannot change your Spotify username because you can’t really be involved in Spotify’s social features when your name is a random 11-digit number and you can’t have an account by your actual name without a Facebook account. I don’t have a Facebook account. Please change Spotify to allow me to have a username that is my actual name and not an 11-digit number.

Ovenbird

It’s a bummer as an artist when adding an artist playlist it uses my regular user profile name.

Any workarounds for an artist playlist to use my artist name would be appreciated.

Please let us change our usernames. It's so frustrating that we don't have the option to simply change a username. 

spyke112

This is so messed up, i recently created a brand new account for my girlfriends dad, and what did i find?! A DISPLAY NAME FIELD! I mean, at this point in time Spotify is just taunting us, who have had an account for years now. It's a disgrace, and one have to wonder which alternatives there actually are at this point.

Stephen_

Just a heads up, this is the third most voted for idea on Live Ideas. It looks like it's getting very close to overtaking the second most voted for idea! Keep voting; I'm assuming that they're more likely to leave another status update on it if it's active, even though it's marked as "Not Right Now". Feel free to vote on other similar ideas, but make sure you also vote on this one since it's the most visible.

Also, make sure you take a moment to leave a note on your account page if you don't have a Spotify Community profile.

@spyke112  That's a really interesting point. At this point I'd be happy if they provided a way to migrate an account on the old system to the new system with display names. I'd do so myself but have a large (in my opinion) library that I'd have to move manually. Maybe I'll look into scripts that use the spotify API.

UPDATE @spyke112 I just went to make another account to check this out. It looks like they don't ask about a username but do ask "What would you like us to call you?" or something along thoe lines. Inside the account manager the still immutable username field is a long string of random looking characters, but I didn't see anywhere to change my answer to the "What would you like us to call you?" question; I also didn't see the name I entered for that question anywhere, so I'm not sure what it's supposed to do. I honestly would rather have a random string than my current relatively unprofessional username; so, I might look into migrating my account manually sooner than later.

UPDATE: This is now the second most voted for idea of all time on Spotify Live Ideas!

Stephen_

Nice job getting this issue to the number one most voted for item of all time on Spotify Live Ideas!

Keep up the good work; keep telling your friends and leave a note in your account page if you haven't already.

I've noticed this issue creeping up when sorting all issues by "Hot" instead of "Top". It's not on the first page of results yet, but maybe we can get it there too!