Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Change Username

I know this is probably out there somewhere already, but I find it quite frustrating that I was assigned a "username" of lots of numbers when my account was created.  It makes it hard for people to find me, as I can't remember my username, let alone try to get them to.  Can we please make it an option to change our username?  Even if there is a once-a-year change or something...that would be such a helpful thing!

Updated on 2020-03-12

Hey,

Thanks for coming to the Community, and adding your vote to this idea.

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change.
However, you can now add or change your display name on mobile!
A display name replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity.

There's more on this here.

Comments
giacomop

I see that both options to change the name under which my contributions in shared playlists are displayed are blocked by Spotify with the status "Not right now". Either make it possible to change my (number) username as suggested in this post or introduce a self maintainable display name as suggestes in this post (https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Social-Add-Display-Name-Option-for-User-Account/idi-p/45...).

Either way give your users control of the name that they are displayed with. And NO (caps deliberately as I like to shout this at your suggestion in the Help section), it is NOT an option to create a new account!

Lorne73

Is there a way I can transfer my account to my wife's Facebook page instead of mine. She's the only one who uses it and has upgraded it to Premium but everything is still under my name.

Thanks

Traeighsea

This is a universal feature of basically any online service. Make it difficult to change it, limit it, whatever you need to do for the system to not be abused. But, not being able to change the username associated with the account is absurd. I don't want my full name associated with the account just because I linked it with my Facebook when the account was created and didn't have a choice in a name. If I want to share my playlists with someone online I have to know that they're going to know my full name after I share the playlist. Not great for privacy.

The solution that you guys give to "create a new account with a new name, delete the original account, and transfer the playlists" isn't even an option for most people. As someone who has used this service for 6 years, I'd like to keep the entire chronological history of how I found music and when I found it. Spotify is uniquely positioned for this information and I love seeing how my music has changed over time.

Also, if you guys can't implement this at least tell us why. Is it how it's coded? Organized? Not enough money in the budget to fix this? Transparency would be greatly appreciated, considering people have been asking about this since 2013.

Just let us change our username. That's all I'm asking.

lermy3d

There should be at least a way to choose a Display Name instead of account name, I would not mind that, but when my girlfriend has to login on our Android TV (55'') is not a pretty name to watch. Also, if you allow to create accounts through Facebook the Display Name should also be taken from the profile, and we humans should be able to read Sofia like we can do in Netflix, instead of 3uh4325h4l435u435jk43, which ruins user experience and is actually useless because it does not relate to me, nor to my partner, not to anyone.

Sincerly,

Lermy

vichicatugy

I’m transgender, I don’t like my username… Makes me dysphoric. :((

Garage1881

How many votes do you need as a corporation to "make things happen"? I mean the "blocked user" discussion has 75 pages and this is topic of discussion is no different? How many Premium users accounts do you need to lose before realizing you need to step up and make some changes within your corporation? I've been a member since 2009....let that sink in TEN YEARS!!! I've been a premium member since the option was introduced, I believe asthat was 2010, and now I've been family premium member for almost 3 years. Never once have I complained about the price increases or bad updates...not once. I literally ask everyone when music discussions come up if they have Spotify and when they don't I basically sell it so hard to them, and with such great passion, that they have no choice but to look you up and then BOOM they are hooked too. I LOVE SPOTIFY SO MUCH that I check the Corporate job board every 6 months hoping an opportunity arises in my city. The closest I can get is Miami. I'm a professional musician, private percussion instructor, and retired USMC Bandsman.... I've helped build your business by my actions. You NEED to do something to protect your users privacy and give them realistic options for their usernames. PERIOD

Garage1881

So....I'm confused. I just changed my username....how is this a relevant discussion and why hasn't Spotify updated?

asciiM0

@ Garage1881: Nope, you didn't! What you just changed was your nick here in this community but definitely NOT your spotify account name!

I have a family premium account with a username/device name with lots of number sand letters. How utterly stupid is this. I can not connect to Facebook nor see my friends and I believe its to do with this stupid username provided by Spotify.  Spotify is quite happy collecting my money each month but how about some service and fix this dame stupid profile editor!!!

asciiM0

Hi folks, check this out - some numbers & facts

Age of this idea: 6 years soon

Votes: Almost 25000

Mention in Top Ideas: Nope! (if you sort live ideas by "top ideas"  you can see more than 60 ideas that have more votes than the "No. 1" in the top ideas ranking - wth?)

Any reason given for that incomprehensible decision: Nope!

Call them votes, likes, kudos - doesn't matter: Every vote is a paying customer's opinion and those guys have the guts to throw a "Not right now" into our faces!