Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Account] Quickly switch between saved Accounts

English:

I just ask to be able to use several different accounts from the same device.

Spanish:

Tan solo pido poder usar varias cuentas diferentes desde un mismo dispositivo.

Updated on 2024-04-15

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that the option to switch between accounts is being implemented. We'll start with Android mobile devices and tablets. Remember this is slowly being rolled out for everyone, so if you don't see it now, just make sure to keep your app up to date.

image.png

At the moment, we don’t have any info to share about when this will be available for iOS users. Rest assured that any news will be posted here.

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
lotekjunky

Spotify doesn't give a shift what you think or want as long as you continue to pay them monthly. It's kind of sad because I love most of the service, but their support and customer interaction is fugging terrible. We've been practically begging for this BASIC USABLITY FUNCTION for years and they just ignore it.

Ruadhanbarry

Found this thread and wanted to give it some more weight. This would help me considerably in my day to day interactions with Spotify.

a. I have two connected devices in my home. They are an Amazon Echo and a Google Home. I have my personal Spotify account connected to each. Each often has issues understanding (over voice interaction) the exact album/playlist/artist I wish to play, so I use the Spotify app to select the album I want. 

b. I have three young kids at home who like to listen to music while I'm at work. I'm a premium user, so I would like to give the home devices their own account to play Spotify, but the hassle of point A, limits me from doing this In this scenario, I would have to:

1. Open my app on the phone

2. Log out of my personal account

a. Find user names and passwords from my password manager

b. Copy password and switch back to Spotify

3. Log into the account connected to home devices

4. Select album to play - Success (kids stop shouting at home device)

5. Log out of the account connected to home devices

a. Find user name and passwords from my password manager

b. Copy password and switch back to Spotify

6. Log in to my personal account - Success (back to normal state)

---kids change their mind---

---repeat 1-6--- 

9 Steps to complete to simply interface with the home devices

I have a number of options to fix this:

a. Live with the limitations of the voice interface of the home devices

b. Buy an additional device (such as iPod) to be able to control Spotify via an app

c. Switch home devices to use another music app (Prime or Apple) so that I can just change app rather than account (this is fast becoming my preferential choice)

c. Keep up with my existing set up which causes me endless frustration I want to listen to Spotify (when I'm not at home or in another room) while my family does too (at home).

This could be fixed by offering an ability to switch accounts quickly in the same manner as Google does on many apps, including Gmail for iPhone for example.

To understand the scale of this issue, I would recommend looking at the number of times a voice interaction occurs over the Home/Echo API, only for the user to open the app and change select an album manually within in a small period of time (less than 30 or 60 secs?).

Why does this matter? It is a small problem, which happens often and sullies my love of Spotify and home devices.

croissantmoon-

How is this still not a feature 2+ years later?? As a heavy user that needs to manage multiple accounts daily, this one inconvenience makes me seriously consider switching to another streaming app. PLEASE listen to your user base when they tell you it's a priority to them:(

ektorbarajas

I just switched and acquired the premium family plan, now my wife and 2 kids as well as myself have each one a premium account. 

But definitely Spotify should provide a faster and easier way to switch between accounts on a same device, without having to logout and login 

something similar like how Netflix does. 

I really hope this gets implemented soon. 

Roydenouter

Good news....I just chatted with a Dutch support employee and he confirmed that internally they have decided to bring this option to switch between account. It wasn't clear when this update will be released but at least they are (finally) taking action. 

I've also asked if they could change the status of this thread from Not on our roadmap, to Is in development and will be released soon.

mikelieb

oh! this would be great! hopefully...

martinfd

Look to Netflix! They made this so elegant and easy! Now my playlists are completely messed up by my kids music preferences..

mildfuzz

We use the spare family account we have as a dedicated smart speaker account, would  be very helpful to be able to switch between them

robin303

I'm sure many parent recognise this. Your kids get a say in what music gets played in the car, during long summer holiday trips. Or they ask for that one Katy Perry track while you're cooking dinner. Sure, wy not. But now your Discover Weekly, which took years to perfect, is completely messed up with their songs and artists. Ugh. 

It baffles me that Spotify has ignored this feature request for so long. I'm seriously considering switching to Deezer. They seem to support Netflix-like profile switching.  

Handyjellyfish

At the very least make this an automatic feature for family accounts! Allow me to switch between any of my family accounts at any time. That it's been 3 years since this was first asked for is ridiculous. 

The family feature is great, now let us swap easily so that I can stop polluting my account with the stuff my kids listen to lol.