Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Add support for Google ChromeCast

Will you be adding support to the ChromeCast that Google announced today? Would be great to be able to easily stream music from all my devices to my receiver and tv.

Please see the Api information here: https://developers.google.com/cast/

Update: implementing ChromeCast is superior to using the Chrome browser plugin to move a tab with the Spotify web interface to your TV for multiple reasons. Most importantly:

- You can stream higher fidelity

- You can stream from every device, not only from a computer/laptop

- You can control from multiple devices (so if I leave the room my wife can control Spotify with her phone)

If implemented correctly this would match the functionality of Sonos for a much lower price.

Update February 4th 2014: Okay, so Google has released the SDK now. Please start working on the functionality or at the very minimum give an update to the status...

Update February 19th 2014: 2,000 kudos, hundreds of replies (with more than a handful of cancelations). Apparently Spotify Germany has confirmed Chromecast support is coming. An update would be nice

Update March 24th 2014: 2,500 kudos and still no update. Cancelled my subscription today. Sorry, but if you don't listen to your paying customers we will have to speak with our wallets.

Updated: 2015-10-22

In collaboration with Google, we’re thrilled to announce one of your most requested features here in The Spotify Idea Exchange is here. Spotify now works with your Chromecast.

With Chromecast, listening at home is easy. Simply plug in and cast music directly from your phone or tablet. Play, skip, browse and search using the Spotify app--all Spotify users will get the on demand experience on Chromecast. Oh, and feel free to make calls, watch a video or play games - the music will keep playing. Even if your battery runs out.

To learn more about how you can listen at home, head over to www.spotify.com/at-home.

Spotify on Chromecast from SpotifyCares on Vimeo.

Comments
Gait

All very ice, but who *asked* for 'NOW'? Who asked for video? How many kudos did it take?

P.S.

Chromecast *also* casts video!

UlisesFTW

With videos and podcast its clearly more needed than ever. I would love to hear podcast within spotify but I will only ditch pocketcasts if they offer at least chromecast support.

Tried Spoticast and its not great, works but has a lot of flaws, starting from your phone playing the same song with low volume to work!
Also tried casting spotify web from chrome and it works but its also not great and depends so much on the computer and the conecction.

I love using Spotify Connect to remote control my laptop but now the chromecast is in the center of my setup. I think the problem lies in some conflict with spottify connect and Im not sure if now is up to google to add support for spotify connect on his side. Not sure if that is possible.

BIGGHANDS

After over two years of waiting and watching Spotify do absolutely nothing to support Chromecast......Hello Google Play Music.  

Gait

@UlisesFTW

I think Chromecast got its first kudo before Connect existed.

mkay1337

aaaaannnd im gone.. just switched over to google music.. i kinda liked spotify more.. but i need chromecast almost 50% of the time now and spoticast sucks... bye bye Man Frustrated

Duras2

Just signed up to Spotify. Seems nicer than RDIO, but absent Chromsecast, I doubt I'll be keeping it.

Alixtrol

I absolutely agree. This would make me very happy.

Thank you very much..Smiley Wink

Gmanatheist

I have considered canceling my spotify premium acount because Musicmatch and other music streaming apps support Chromecast. I hope it gets implemented soon. 

majerus

Original Email : 

Why should I continue to pay for Spotify Premium if it does not support Chromecast?

Reply from Spotify

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with the Spotify team. 

This should clarify our position regarding Google Cast for audio and Chromecast: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Add-support-for-Google-ChromeCast/idc-p/1012526/highl...

Also, here's a reminder of all the great features you get with Spotify Premium:

• Access to a catalog of over 30 million songs with no ads…anywhere!
  • On-demand playback on desktop and mobile.
  • High quality streaming.
  • Save playlists offline.
  • Play Spotify on TV or speakers with Spotify Connect.
  • Travel abroad with your music.

Hope you find this information helpful, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Have a great day!

Carlos ♫

My Reply : 

Carlos,

Thanks for the link, I guess this seals it for me. 

goodbye.JPG

elec_engr

I am considering switchign to Rdio due to the lack of Chromecast support.