Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
trumanderee

I think it's bad form for a company to go so long without solving an issue that so many people clearly have. As hurdygertie said, ads that people react negatively to hurt both Spotify and brand being advertised.

rainy_

Why the heck hasn't a status update been posted for two years, with 76 pages worth of comments regarding the issue? Having horror movie/explicit ads popping up at work and in the shower is seriously disturbing and making me debate on not using Spotify anymore. Are these ads even tailored at all? Pandora offers a free filter, so why doesn't Spotify?

hightechheretic

Just had to quit listening again because a Trojan condom ad came on at work. I'm not listening to Playboy radio, here - why am I getting R-rated ads? This is so gross!

Two weeks left to give a response, Spotify - then I'm out of here, per my original comment on this thread. (And again, not that you care.)

EDIT: P.S. And guess what website I'm going to now? Hey - you got it! I am going to Pandora! How'd you know?!

magmasloth64

I absolutely love being able to find new 90's Big Beat music with spotify,

but I looked into this to find a way to get rid of "The Purge" ads, I can't even believe we're all collectively forced to listen to this garbage.

It infringes on anyones integrity when they're forced to hear about a murder holiday or a condom commercial, and it's sad to see very little filters put in place to make this family/work friendly.

There is a whole host of angry people who are completely frustrated with this,

and despite this ongoing discussion, there was a thread where a veteren couldn't stand listening to the purge ad and it was locked, but this is a serious disrespect to anyone utilizing this service if they're expected to just take it from some seemingly authoritarian music service.

I think all that any of us are asking for is a PG, family and work friendly advertisement line up.

Just a toggle feature in the settings.

What do you not acknowledge that there is a large population of young children that make up a majority of your listeners?
Have some honor we should be nourishing eachother, whether it be at the work place, restaurant, or a home, advertisements can be a good thing and encourage industry and commerce but abusing the ability to advertise like this is just backwards.

hightechheretic

OK Spotify, I am officially done. A month ago I said that if there wasn't at least a response from Spotify to this six-year-old, 76-pages-of-comments issue that your users obviously care about within a month, I would drop you until I hear the concerns have been addressed. I'm off to Pandora. Unlimited listening to any music I want is a 21st-century luxury I've lived without most of my life anyway. Goodbye.

hightechheretic

Update: For those looking, I have been trying Deezer and really liking it. Sadly, their free tier does not allow as much latitude as Spotify's (but better than Pandora's). But the ads are very few and far between (and never inappropriate!). I like the app UX and the audio quality kicks the pants off Spotify's, even in the free tier. Their music selection is also much larger than what Spotify has.

I won't be missing Spotify all that much. If there's an artist I just have to hear...I can buy the CD and support them directly. : )

Cheers!

redblueu2

You allow us to rate music by adding a heart, or removing it from a playlist.  It would be great if a similar two-button system allowed us to indicate which ads were relevant or offensive.

Zla10

Yes! Please end the explicit ads.. 

Neotokenkappa

I don't want to see a half naked picture of nicki minaj, it's disgusting. Please fix this spotify, i don't know how the **bleep** it's even allowed in the first place on your app. 

Staff
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

Updated on 2018-09-06

Hey everyone.

Thanks for your feedback on this.

We appreciate your patience as we continue to iterate and improve our Free tier.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your comments and feedback to the right teams here too.

Keep an eye out for improvements.